sump overflow??

seaqueen

I need some help. i am building my first sump I need to know how much space I should leave in my sump if my power goes out, so I don't overflow my mothers living room .___.
I have a 55 gal display tank and a 20 gallon sump how much water should I fill in the sump ? how much room should I leave at the top?
thank youuu ~

lmforbis

I don't like to fill it more than 2/3rds. I tested mine by turning off the return pump and seeing how much drained out.

Best way to answer that is to fill the tank till it flow though the over flow and fills the sump aswell. That is the maximum amount of water it can hold and cant drain more than that. Now turn it on. Water in the sump will drop as it fill the plumbing. Once it all levels out (about 60 seconds ) mark the water level in the sump that will be your maximum fill mark.

geridoc

robertmathern1's solution works well unless later the position of the siphon break changes, which will change the volume of water that can siphon into the sump. Leave some margin of error to account for such changes, IMHO.

beaslbob

you might play with a couple of 10-20g containers in the garage until you are confident you got it figured out.

Adjustments:
1) sump (lower container) does not flood with power out.
2) normal operation returns with power returns.
and the one I forgot:
3) with drain failure (blockage/siphon bread) the display (upper container) does not flood.

3 is adjusted by insuring that with a drain failure the sump runs dry before the display floods.
After that adjustment return to normal operations and mark the water level. From that point on never fill the system that causes the sump water level to go above that line.

Good advise also what kind of overflow do you have? Is it drilled or is it a u-tube siphon overflow.

Assuming most 55 gallons are tempered glass and should not be drilled I will assume its a u-tube style overflow. If it is make sure you have enough flow trhough the u-tube to push air through the over flow. If not air will settle in the u-tube and eventually break siphon causing a flood

seaqueen

oh geez looks like iv got some testing to do, problem is....I already sealed in the baffles hahaha oops ._.
but...ill still test em out and see how it goes. Thanks for your help guys! :))

seaqueen

oh and also I don't really have my overflow yet I was planning to do it with pvc pipe...is that a bad idea? it seemed simple and understandable for me....based on the video I seen

pegasus

While I prefer to drill my tanks and use bulkheads, an over-the-rim overflow will work just fine... though not as neat looking. I highly recommend using an Aqua Lifter pump on a PVC overflow. This will guarantee that air doesn't collect at the top and break the siphon.

beaslbob

FWIW I use a maxijet powerhead with the "bubbler" to suck air our of my u tubes. Had to use the biggest but it sucks out the air in two utubes in about 30 seconds or so.

my .02

Never thought of that beaslbob but it actually seems like a good idea as aqualifters are known to fail from time to time. Maxijets have always been good to me. I have a drilled tank so it dont really matter but its still a good idea