sump plumbing help!

O

openwaters

Hi Everybody, I have a few questions and need some help with some plumbing issue's.
This is my set up: 1" drain that tee's likes this |- from there its 1" to the skimemer and 3/4" to the refuge. than 3/4" flex tube for return. I have 3 ball valves one on the return line and the others are on the drain line. one after the tee going to the skimmer and same for the fuge.
Now my problem is I am get alot of air coming out of the both return pipes, I am useing a crp over flow box with a durso stand pipe in the back of it.
My other problem are micro bubbles making it back to the display tank I do have a bubble trap between the skimmer and the return section but there are just to many still?
If someone could tell me how to post things from microsoft paint I can draw you up a picture of my set up if that helps
Thanks

2quills

Both return pipes? So you have your return line split as well or are you using two pumps?
Can you post some pictures of your set up instead? It would be more helpful. Shots of your sump, plumbing going in and out of the sump and your return pipes would be great.

O

openwaters

Sorry I edited my post as not to be so confusing.
But I only the drain has the tee in it. I do have a drawing made up on paint but dont know how too post it?

2quills

Not sure how to post a picture from MS Paint. I always upload my images into photobucket and then click on add image and past the direct link into it.
I'm pretty sure that I understand the concept of how you have your system plumbed. It would just be more hepful to see actuall pictures in order to help narrow down some of the issues and maybe offer some better suggestions. Not that I'm an expert, mind you. But anything you could come up with would be more helpful.
Some well placed filter pads may help solve some of the issue...maybe you could place some in your bubble trap to help diffuse some of those bubbles. Do you have a foam pad installed on your return pump as well?...that could help also.
The drain line that runs to your fuge...is it above the water line...below the water line...or half and half?

J

jstdv8

so does the drain line go directly to the skimmer? or into the sump and the skimmer sucks it out of the area in the sump where the skimmer is and processes it and dumps it back in? is your sump divided into sections? How many?, is the skimmer in the same section as the overflow line coming from the DT?

handbanana

"save as" your drawing in a location where you know where it will be. For example, create a new folder for "tank drawings"
Save as a .Jpeg file format. (second dropbox, under save name) name it something cool
Post new reply, then go advanced.
Go down to manage attachments.
In upper right hand corner click "add files"
Click select files.
Then in the top drop down folder box, find your "tank drawings" folder, open and find your drawing.
Then it will appear in the manage attachments box. check the corner, hit add attachment and there ya go.
that should work. hope it helps. Im interested in seeing your setup.

beaslbob

taking a wild stab at this.
As I understand it you are basically getting too many bubles in the system. Under the assumption the pump itself is sealed and not the source of the bubles, the source is the sump itself. You need baffles/bio balls or whatever to break up the bubbles before they get to the pump. Once you do that and the pump is pumping water and not water and bubles, the bubles will go away.
my .02

O

openwaters

Well here is my drawing of my sump layout (thanks Handbanana for the info about posting paint pics
)
Now dont laugh at least I tryed LOL!

calbert0

should work....
you might want to use a "Y" joint instead of a "T" on the drain line for increased flow.

O

openwaters

Thanks for the tip calbert0, do you think that is my problem? also where would I fine a Y fitting?

2quills

Originally Posted by openwaters
http:///forum/post/3277594
Thanks for the tip calbert0, do you think that is my problem? also where would I fine a Y fitting?
A "Y" fitting won't solve the problem it will just help water flow more easily into your sump. Typically with this type of set up you want approximately 75% of your water draining into your skimmer area and 25% going to your fuge...or as close to that as you can get.
Are those the actual size of the baffles on the fuge and the last one on the bubble trap, because they look a little low to me. Also the first baffle on the bubble trap looks a little high. You only need like a 1" difference between the first baffle and the last one on the bubble trap. Water falling from that height may be causing excess bubbles getting into your return chamber.
If you want to find Y fittings your probably better off going to an actual plumbing supply store rather than the big chain home improvement stores. Or get one online.

O

openwaters

yes that is pretty close to actual size..... i set it up like that for the skimmer is that my problem?. also I seemm to be getting a little bit of a gurgling out the bottom of both drain pipes is this normal?

2quills

Originally Posted by openwaters
http:///forum/post/3277614
yes that is pretty close to actual size..... i set it up like that for the skimmer is that my problem?. also I seemm to be getting a little bit of a gurgling out the bottom of both drain pipes is this normal?
The gurgling is fairly normal, if you weren't using the durso stand pipe with would probably be worse. And yes i think that is a big part of the problem in my opinion. I would recommend raising the two baffles for your return chamber...the one on the left raise it to about 1" below the first baffle for the bubble trap and the one on the fuge higher as well. If this isn't possible then try putting some filter padding or filter floss inbetween the baffles on the bubble trap...anything to help diffuse the bubbles.

O

openwaters

ok I will try the fillter pad soon, do you think filter floss woud be better or what about a filter sock?

acrylic51

What is the dimensions of the first compartment? What is the spacing between the baffles? You might want to look on the other big forum for a thread by BeanAnimal on how to do a silent overflow....The thread is long, but killer info, that would definitely solve your gurgling issue.

mkroher

Umm.. why have two drain lines anyways? Why the extra plumbing? You should have one unrestricted drain into the first compartment, and the last compartment contains the return pump.
The fuge should be placed before the skimmer.

beaslbob

I would put the baffels on either side of the sump section higher. And check the refug drain and see if bubbles are getting through the refugium section. The higher baffle will also "trap" more water in the refug for more macros.
The ball valve on the return is not needed and with a proper setup should just be ran full open.
I think you will find one of the drains that on ball valve could be ran full open with the other partially closed to limit flow there. Do not partially close both.
If you are getting gurgling/rushing noise top side then look into a durso on the overflow. Or even pcv overflows in these thread:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...=beaslbob+trap
those designs are of course just starting points. I'm sure you could design your own but at least they show the basic concepts.
my .02