Sump Plumbing

jw1977

I recently had a friend set up my new sump. I was surprised at how simple it ended up. It's basically just one flex hose coming from supply and one from teh return. When I see people's on here it's much more elaborate with PVC running everywhere. Mine doesn't have any ballvalves or anything. Is this okay? He's set up numerous tanks.

monsinour

I dont have any ball valves or "fancy" PVC for my sump. I got dollar a foot hose going from the sump to the tank, and from the tank to the sump. If you pick your return pump properly, you dont need a ball valve.

2quills

Sometimes simple is all that is needed. Depending on your set up and what type of equipment is used, like reactors, chillers, ato, etc...then it can get pretty elaborate, yes. Especially of your running a closed loop system for your flow inside the tank...in cases like those it could look like a spiderweb of plumbing going on under and around the tank. Ball valves aren't always needed but can come in handy if you want to stop any backflow into the sump quickly after shutting off your pump. Alot of times you will see them used to adjust the amount and or direct flow the amount of flow where it's needed.

scrapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/381164/sump-plumbing#post_3318934
I dont have any ball valves or "fancy" PVC for my sump. I got dollar a foot hose going from the sump to the tank, and from the tank to the sump. If you pick your return pump properly, you dont need a ball valve.
I'dont either.... the simpler the better IMO. I have a maxijet 1200 which I have positionned high enough in the sump so if the siphon is broken the pump stops soon enough pushing up water and doesn't risk overflowing the DT.
I have two u-tube for siphoning for added security.
In case of power failure, I have positioned the return from the maxijet high enough in the DT so a minimum of water flows back to the sump. IT WORKS and it's simple

jw1977

Thanks, you've made me feel better about it. I'm still a little unclear on on the whole siphon breaking and overflowing the tank or sump. If the power goes or the pump stops working, what exactly happens.

florida joe

with all due respect save yourself a lot of trouble and post a drawing of your setup and let myself and fellow hobbyists take a look at it

scopus tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1977 http:///forum/thread/381164/sump-plumbing#post_3319213
Thanks, you've made me feel better about it. I'm still a little unclear on on the whole siphon breaking and overflowing the tank or sump. If the power goes or the pump stops working, what exactly happens.
As Joe said, post up a picture if you can. But basically, what happens when the pump stops working is that water begins to flow backward into your sump. It will flow not only through the overflow supply (as you called it), but also through the return. This will continue until the water level drops below both these opening and the siphon breaks because it can't get anymore water. If the amount of water that drains is greater than the total storage capacity of your sump, it overflows - that simple. If you want to test it, simply unplug the return pump and watch what happens in the sump.