Sump + Power Outage = Flood?

kayak385

Right now my 75 gallon has a overflow chamber that flows to the Sump.
In Case of a power outage... the tank seems to be in a position to overflow.
Is there a way to stop this? (via Drill a hole and tube it to a bucket like skimmers some people have do)
My connection from tank to sump are all tubes with no pvc plumbing so a cheap effective way is what i'm looking for while other ways are also appreciated.
Thanks

waterworld

Most overflows have "notches or teeth" on the inside box. This allows water to flow out only when the water level is higher than the notches. When the water level goes below the notches no more water flows out. The trick is to have enough EXTRA sump capacity to hold the water that flows out of the tank until the water level in the tank stops going into the overflow.
Always TEST this by pulling the plug on your pumps to similate an outage. If it looks like you have a flood coming plug all back in and revise your plumbing. Always best to test than to come home to trouble sometime.
Have Fun!
WW

kayak385

I never tested this and always thought about it. My tank's overflow was DIY with no notches on it. My megaflow model 3 sump is made for up to 125 with min/max lines on it but i don't know if it will be able to handle it until tonight when i check...
Is there a way/device/DIY that will act in emergencies?

stanlalee

I'm not sure I understand. You should have an anti-siphon hole on your return spout that prevents a back siphon and you should have enough free space in your sump to make up the difference between the tank water level and where it drops below the overflow box teeth. If you have an anti siphon hole and your sump level isn't high you should cut the power yourself and see how much the sump fills up. start with a low sump level.
How high up is the drain tube within the overflow box? is there a tube that extends up at all?

kayak385

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
I'm not sure I understand. You should have an anti-siphon hole on your return spout that prevents a back siphon and you should have enough free space in your sump to make up the difference between the tank water level and where it drops below the overflow box teeth. If you have an anti siphon hole and your sump level isn't high you should cut the power yourself and see how much the sump fills up. start with a low sump level.
How high up is the drain tube within the overflow box? is there a tube that extends up at all?
I don't have a anti-siphon hole in my return spout... D'oh
I also haven't tested how far the sump with fill if power turned off.
The return pump has a straight rubber tube from the mag drive to the DT.