Sump Pump Dilemma

holloway

I recently replaced 2 submerged sedra 12000 pumps that were powering my overflow with 1 Iwaki Magnate pump.
The Sedra pumps each max out at 1200 gal/ hr. Whereas the Iwaki max at 35.6 /min.
I replaced the submerged pumps for 2 reasons.
1. Create more space in my sump.
2. To reduce heat they generate inside the sump.
This is my problem.....
Now that the new external pump is on and running, my chiller comes on app. every 15 min.and takes about 10 minutes to cool back down to 79'. The other pumps would take about 3-4 hours to heat the water to 81' and about a 1/2 hour to cool it down to 79' My chiller is 1/2 hp.
I think I made a mistake replacing the pumps. Also, I bought the Iwaki used. Can someone recommend a better set up/pump?
Thanks.

squidd

The Iwaki should not heat up the water that fast...there must be something wrong with it...
You said you bought it "used"...It maybe that it just needs a good (thouough) cleaning...
Built up calcium deposits on the impeller and shaft or bearings can cause excess heat from the friction/resistance they cause...
I would try that first before replacing the pump...as long as it's working/moving water...

squidd

As I re read your post I start to wonder if the problem is not the pump directly but more of a "chiller" issue...
The rate of heating may change if the pump is adding excess heat but the rate of "cooling" should not have changed...???
Are you getting these temp readings off the chillers thermometer...?
Sounds like the chillers not getting proper flow and the it's reading and kicking on and off too quickly...
Just a thought...:thinking:

golfish

Were you running both Sedra pumps through the chiller or is it a drop in? Does the pump make a lot of noise? If its an in line chiller and you only ran one Sedra pump through the chiller you might be ptting too much water through it (I doubt it though)

holloway

I am using a 3rd sedra 12000 to run the chiller alone. The other 2 were only responsible for my filtration.

holloway

I went and examined the chiller/pump . It appears to be getting enough flow. I'll try another pump. Thanks.