sump pumps

florida joe

A sump pump is a misnomer it is any pump you have in your sump and it retuns water from your sump to your DT

deejeff442

it also is used in the basement put in a plastic tub under the floor grade to take and pump water out from the weep holes in the wall footer

just playing ,what joe said

jimbo63

Can I use a 10g tank? How would Iset this up. My tank is 33g right now my filtration is a pengiun 200 over the back filter and 2 power sweeps. I have a blue chromis 3 hermites 5 snails. I do plan on adding more fish and LR. So far my perimeters are fine.

deejeff442

just have to buy an overflow box .some come with the return lines and return tip but most dont.need to get some hose from home depot and a pump maybe a 550 gph pump by the time the water gets to the tank it will drop to around 400 gph.
which is where you would like to be.
lfs will have everything.

wilioli

bump
is it actually necessary to have one? Im gettin a 40 gallon tank and id rather just use a filtration device. But I see people with 30 gallon tanks with sump pumps on the bottom...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilioli http:///forum/thread/356556/sump-pumps#post_3317987
bump
is it actually necessary to have one? Im gettin a 40 gallon tank and id rather just use a filtration device. But I see people with 30 gallon tanks with sump pumps on the bottom...

You don't have to have a sump..I think it's the easiest to maintain from what I have been told.
I have been running canister ilters for years. My Nitrates will not go below 10 / 20, that is in the "safe" zone for inverts, LPS and soft corals, but the fancy SPS coral won't live with that number.

wilioli

i don't mean to change the topic of this thread.. but i can't start new threads cause I'm a new member and there's a 'glitch' with new members..? anyways, can u explain the different type of filters to me? if you dont mind? Im waiting for my 40 gallon to come in a couple of months.. for now im 'experimenting/practicing' with a 10 gallon and am using an old aquaclear mini filter with a carbon filter in it... -- thats all i know bout filters.. lol thanks in advance

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilioli http:///forum/thread/356556/sump-pumps#post_3318064
i don't mean to change the topic of this thread.. but i can't start new threads cause I'm a new member and there's a 'glitch' with new members..? anyways, can u explain the different type of filters to me? if you dont mind? Im waiting for my 40 gallon to come in a couple of months.. for now im 'experimenting/practicing' with a 10 gallon and am using an old aquaclear mini filter with a carbon filter in it... -- thats all i know bout filters.. lol thanks in advance

I have to go to work, if nobody answers you befroe I get in tomorrow morning, I'll try and answer you as best I can.

wilioli

thank you kindly, and take ur time.. as i said, i have a couple months before i get the 40 gallon!
<-- thats me waiting.. lol

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilioli http:///forum/thread/356556/sump-pumps#post_3318064
I am not an expert, but I will try to explain the best I can. I hope someone can correct me or chime in with more useful info.
1) Sumps are very beneficial since they add extra water volume to one's tank. They can be used to house protein skimmers and heaters. One compartment would be feed water from the tank known as dirty water and this compartment would house the skimmer. The skimmer would pull out waste from the water and the clean water would be feed into a second compartment that in turn would be feed to the DT. A prefilter is also used to trap large debris.
2)Refugiums can be incorporated in the sump or HOB. Sump refugiums have a compartment with sand, macroalgae, & a powerhead for flow. They are beneficial because the macroalgae will consume nitrates and aid in the balance of the tank. Some people also place critters that don't play nicely in the DT in the refugium. HOB can be purchased or HOB filters can be modded to create them. Some people will partition a small portion of the tank with a piece of eggcrate and house the macroalgae there. The macroalgae requires a light source as it is photosynthetic. Also, the macroalgae needs to be trimmed regularly.
3)Wet/Dry filtration systemsWet/Dry filters, or “trickle” filters, work by trickling water slowly through mechanical media, so that it builds up a good amount of oxygen before passing through the bacterial bed. Bacteria need oxygen to process waste, so this process - along with lots of surface area - makes these the best biological filters you can find. And you’re not sacrificing anything else - wet/dry filters usually offer (or can easily be modified for) complete 3 stage filtration. I'm not familiar so I cut and pasted this.

4) Canister filter are filters that have compartments for biological, chemical and mechanical filtraion. I will use the Fluval as the example. The Fluval has a compartment ceramic rings that house nitrifying bacteria. It has compartments for carbon which serves as the chemical. Then, it has foam sponges that serve as mechanical since they trap debris. Canister filters can be beneficial or they can become nitrate factories. They require diligence on the maintenance and IMO you must stick to a strict maintenance schedule with them.
5) Protein skimmers pull out organic compounds from the water by having a surge of air bubbles pumped into them. This is the only form of filtration that will pull out waste before it begins to decompose. Some choose to run their tanks with just a strong protein skimmer and utilize the live rock as their biological filter.

wilioli

gemmy
thanks for that response -- ive been enlightened! If I may ask -- you listed protein skimmer as one of the options.. meaning it can be the only thing in the tank as a filtration device? like if i had that , then i wouldnt need lets say a canister?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilioli http:///forum/thread/356556/sump-pumps#post_3318154
gemmy
thanks for that response -- ive been enlightened! If I may ask -- you listed protein skimmer as one of the options.. meaning it can be the only thing in the tank as a filtration device? like if i had that , then i wouldnt need lets say a canister?
Yes, I would recommend diligence with water changes and the appropriate amount of live rock. The live rock will serve as the biological filter.