Sump Pumps

jabberjaws

I was at wal-mart earlier today in the sports department. I noticed that they had bilge pumps there up to 2000 gph. pumps for only like $20-25. Well I am gonna upgrade to aleast a 100 gal tank in about a month and I am going to build the wet/dry sump from plans I found on the inet. Is there any reason anyone can think why a bilge pump for a boat that handles saltwater would not work if it has the same gallons per hour. I know they run off dc volts but that can be remedied. I know it would save big bucks buying a 1200 gph pump from wal-mart for $20 dollars versus $90 for a mag drive on the inet. All the pipe fittings can be the same so I can not think of any reason why it wouldnt work. Would appreciate any input!
P.S. Anyone know how many gal. sump is required for a 125 gal tank pumping about 1100 gph.?

jtoliver

Two words, "exposed metal". If that pump has any exposed metal on it, it will eventually oxidize and poisen your water. I would go with the pump that is designed for the aquarium just for the piece of mind knowing that your not going to have metal problems with it. (even if the other one doesn't look like it has metal on it, it might have metal in it.)

jabberjaws

I will look into the exposed metal part, but I think it should be alright in that area. Being that it is for saltwater use in a boat for the gulf. of mexico. You wouldnt want to buy a bilge that would rust on you and have to be replaced often.

broomer5

Hey JabberJaws,
I strongly agree with jtoliver regarding the exposed metals. Even though a marine bilge pump may be designed for saltwater use, does not mean the manufacturer designed it with our fish/inverts in mind. The bilge pump may last 10 years but your tank may last 10 weeks. It's great that you want to DIY with the sump and all, and saving money is always a good thing for sure. But ... saving $50-75 dollars on the pump may end up costing you a lot more down the road. Unless you can get an exploded parts description on each and every wetted component of this bilge pump, and verify it's metal material, I would be cautious. You could end up losing all fish, inverts, live rock, poisoning the substrate, and have to start all over again. I would keep with the DIY as much as you can, but don't skimp on the pump. Get one designed for a saltwater aquarium and then you can rest assured.
My opinion ...
Brian

jimi

I dont know for sure if a bilge would work but mag drive pumps have exposed metal screws on their submersible pumps and they are for fresh or salt use.

mr . salty

I work in the boating industry,and there are two problems that come to mind here. #1, Most "bilge pumps" have almost no head room. They wont pump more than a foot or two at best. #2 They are noisy as hell. Also under extended use, they heat up and melt. STEVE

jabberjaws

Thanks for the help guys. Guess I will spring for the aquarium pump after all. Now to just take care of this pesky leaking problem on my 29. ---ROSS