Sump question need help

saltaddict

OK I'm looking for some information on sumps. It turns out that the stand I had made for by new 125G setup has only the front doors to insert my sump and based on the dimensions of the door I have concluded that all I can fit is a standard 20G high glass aquarium. When I started investigating the cost of two tanks and to have them drill so i can connect them to an external pump using bulkheads it looked as if it was going to cost me close to $100. OUCH!
SO I started to look for something cheaper. I found some Sterilite clear plastic square containers that looked like they would do the trick they fit underneath fine. I felt comfortable with the idea of drilling the hole for the bulkheads on these instead of glass. Here are my question My thought was to go to HD an buy some Plexiglas sheets and cut them to make my baffles but I was reading on other forums that acrylic does not glue well with aquarium sealant. Has anyone out there taken any Rubbermaid container or something similar and added baffles if so how did you do it?

squidd

I asked this question awhile back...most of my sumps and fuges I made out of glass (which I prefer) but I thought I'd "try" thr rubber maid route for a 20 gallon sump...
I needed baffles for the overflow drain and to maintain water level for the skimmer...I also wanted a baffle to reduce/eliminate bubbles before they hit the return pump..
You really can't glue much of anything to the sides of the sterilite/rubber maid tubs cause when you fill them with water they "flex" and bow...ripping the baffles loose..
I was told (and tried) to find several different sizes to "nest" one inside the other and then cut holes or slots...one up and one down to get the "baffle" effect...
It's set up and "works", I mean it's OK, but I know I could build a much more "space effective" unit out of glass (or acrylic if you prefer) putting 5the "chambers" where I want them rather than wherever they fit depending on what I could find...
Here's a pic...It's from when I added a ATO valve...Don't have the camera right now (must have gone to soccer practice) But I'll get a full shot of the "nesting" up later for you.
But it does show the "concept of one inside another creating seperate "chambers...
I'm not totally happy with this approach and will replace it when I get the time to build another glass masterpiece...