sump question

tlk

I have an old 20gal high tank sitting in the basement that I would like to use for a sump. I want to put my emperor 400 filter, heaters and protein skimmer down below the main tank (and out of sight). My question is, do I need to create separate compartments in the sump or can I just "throw" everything down there and achieve optimal performance?

T

thomas712

I'd be tempted to section it off, use a DSB/w macro algea, and maybe dump the emperor after a few months to see how it goes
Thomas

jumpfrog

If there will be a problem it will be with bubbles. You've got your return right next to your skimmer. Most in sump skimmers will return some bubbles and it helps to have your return further away from the skimmer. I'd reverse and have your overflow/supply closer to the skimmer and return pump on the other side.
I'm not sure if a 20 gallon is really big enough to be able take advantage of a separate refugium area. I tried it with a small tank as the sump and couldn't make it work with the small flow required to effectively use a fuge.
Good luck!

tlk

i can buy a bigger rubbermaid tub. One question that hasn't been answered is will I need any lighting on the sump?

toddpolish

mine is NOT sectioned off with baffles because I'm using a steriline (like Rubbermaid) sump - cause the sides can expand. I do not have a problem with bubbles...one trick is to use a 90 degree pvc piece on the return line and point it down.

broomer5

Tim - that will work as a basic sump.
One thing to remember - you need to allow some room in the sump for draindown from the main tank.
Draindown occurs when you turn off the return pump and when the power fails.
Some tankwater will siphon back down to the sump, until the siphon breaks and the overflow stops flowing.
You gotta leave a little room above your normal sumpwater operating level. If not- draindown water will overflow the sump.
So .... that hang on filter may not work so well, but it all depends on the normal sump water level, and the amount of draindown at powerloss.
Other than that - you can play around with a rubbermaid container or 20 gallon tank - or whatever .... and see how it works.
I've got a 14 gallon rubbermaid sump under my 75 tank.
Nothing fancy I can assure you - but it works.

krux

you should be able to buy or make an extension tube for your powerfilter so that it can draw water from further down in the tank. that will let you have more space for drainback as broomer mentioned.

After I looked around the sump design from another thread and this thread. Please be aware that PS (If you must to use it) should be place before the algae chamber. Not after the algae chamber. Why? Because of valuable of minerals, trace elements, and whatever being released from algae chamber to the display tank ensure that animal(s) in that tank to get valuable minerals. Placing the PS on the end of algae chamber will take out valuable minerals before to the display tank and the animal(s) in the tank will not get enough needed minerals.
That's the what I learned from my research. Anyone care to correct me on this? :)

tlk

I wasn't planning on a refugium (algea chamber?) just yet. The main point of setting this up is to help me lower my water temp without buying a chiller. I currently have a glass top over the tank which is trapping heat. Started a different thread for that discussion, so no need to rehash it on this thread.

Just want to share the information to anyone whoever posted their sump design as I have notice that most PS are locate at the end of filtration. Sorry if anyone of you feel that it is harsh? :confused:
It is your system and your decision. Not mine..... That information was new to me as I learned from recent FAMA. "EcoSystem part 5" and just want to share it to yall after seeing quite numberous of propsal designs that suggest PS at the end....... Really nothing harsh at all. :cool:
Maybe next time I better keep information to self...... :(

zibnata

Help. I see the drawings and dont get it. How does the water go into the sump and back into tank. I have been reading everything I could about sumps and do not understand how to make one.Is there any good web sites for idiots like me? I have only been in the hobby for 6 months. My main reason for a sump is temp. control. Thanks

lemonshark

It all returns with a pump that will take the water back to the main tank.
You can make a sump with a 30gl Fish tank.