sump question

zibnata

as of now I see you need an overflow box,about $ 60. What size pump do you need to pump water back, if it is too strong won't it pump too fast and if it is too weak won't it pump too slow ? Also I have a seaclone 150 protien skimmer, does that go in the sump ?thanks

lemonshark

Yep! You can use the protein skimmer in the sump.
The overflow can be (depending on which one you buy or build) can be adjust to control how much water goes down. Some of the overflow comes with valves that adjust the water flow. That’s when the balance between the water that goes down Vs the water that goes up comes in. Balancing it can be easy, as it can be tricky.
Good luck

zibnata

Thanks,its all starting to make some sense. If you get an overflow box @ 300 gph , do you get a pump @ 300 gph?

grallster

You should get a pump that has more flow than your overflow to account for head pressure. A ball valve should be installed on the outflow of the return pump to equalize the rate of water coming down from the overflow. I would look at the specs sheet on the pump you are considering to see if it can pump out 300 gph or more at whatever head pressure (height from sump back to the top of the tank).

tlk

Ok, so here is the $10 question......
300gal overflow @ $70
500 pump @ @50
Protein Skimmer @ 125
a DIY system for ~$245 or a complete set-up system for just a little more?

grallster

Be wary of some of those protein skimmers that they include in those wet/drys--I have no experience with them myself, but have heard some people on here describe them as kinda "chinzy"

ozadars

Hi, not about that threat but everything is about sumps so i have a question and so maybe i can post my question here other than a new thread...
For my 55 gal, i m thinking a sump and it will be like that:
The sump will be divided to 2 parts,
Water will come to first part and there will be ehfi sinth on the top so it will filter the water first, there will be crushed coral at the bottom, there will be a PS and there will be ehfi Mech and Substrat in filets, in the second part, there will be DSB and macro alges and a power head that takes the water to the main tank? what do you think? Will it work?

lemonshark

You can use Nautilus te Skimmer with Rio Pump for $176.00
You can build your sump for $30.00 or less.
You can build your own overflow for $20 or less.
You get a pump for $50
You can get pipes $$$ I'm not sure for how much you can get it around where you live.
Total Cost might be: $276 + Pipe Cost

tlk

Originally posted by LemonShark
You can use Nautilus te Skimmer with Rio Pump for $176.00
You can build your sump for $30.00 or less.
You can build your own overflow for $20 or less.
You get a pump for $50
You can get pipes $$$ I'm not sure for how much you can get it around where you live.
Total Cost might be: $276 + Pipe Cost

So, $276 for a DYI or $245 for a system that is ready to go. What is the benefit to DYI (except I would probably end up with a nicer p skimmer)?

krux

in essence it is a case of you get what you pay for. by not going with the pre-made system you will have the benefits of making the sump any size that you can find a container to fit under the tank, you will be able to easily design in a refugium later, you will be able to more easily lay out your plumbing because inlets to the sump will not be factory determined... also you will not be paying for their plexiglass, their weldon, their bioballs... all things that you really do not need to make an effective sump. if you took the base price of their product, and subtracted the value of the plexi, the value of the bioballs, and the value of the time for someone to assemble it, you can see the true value of what is left, namely the skimmer and the overflow box. i do not know the costs associated with building that exact unit, but lets say it is $100.00 for the sake of easy math. that means you are essentially paying for a water holding bin, a skimmer, a return pump, and an overflow for around $140.00 give or take a bit. now if you were to compare shop and find your own skimmer, return pump, and overflow for around 140, you will be able to quickly see the quality of equipment you are working with.
incidentally, most of those that say includes pump, mean the pump for the skimmer, not the pump for the return, so you might want to look more into that in detail.
so basically you do have an option. you can spend your 250 or so getting a good solid skimmer, a properly sized sump, a good flow overflow, and a good pump for your return (one of the most important places to have quality by the way) or you can spend the same ammount of money, or a little less, to pay someone else to do it for you, which means labor, materials, and profit, which from my experience and basic reasoning means inferior product.
and that my friend is in essence the theory behind diy, you are either making something nobody else will, you are making it better than anyone else will, or you are making it cheaper than anyone else will. if you seek to satisfy one of these situations, or in part all of them, make it yerself!