sump questions

willcon

hye i have some questions about runnning a sump tank.
i just purchased a 65 gallon tank with biult in overflow box, i plan on running it to a 20 gallon sump,what king of pump should i get to return the water?is there anything else i should know?
how should i plan on running the water into it?
what should i keep ion the sump?
thanks in advance

E

exile415

what kind of tank are you gonna keep ? Reef ? FOWLR ? how about a refuguim

acrylic51

If I were you I would try to put the biggest sump I can under the tank... What are the inside dimensions of the stand.... Alot of people put skimmers in their sumps as well as heaters, ground probes...etc.....
Are you planning on using the sump as a refugium as well??? With a 20 gallon you'll be tight on space...
You will need bulkheads to run your plumbing to your sump... This can be accomplished with either flex hose (tubing) or PVC pipe...This would run down to your sump and into your sump....As far as pumps are you planning on a submersible or external pump... External pumps would mean your 20 gallon would be drilled and submersible would be easier and quicker to setup, but again you run into space limitations with the 20 gallon with skimmer, pump, heater etc... What are you planning on equipment wise having in the sump?

E

exile415

Originally Posted by acrylic51
If I were you I would try to put the biggest sump I can under the tank... What are the inside dimensions of the stand.... Alot of people put skimmers in their sumps as well as heaters, ground probes...etc.....
Are you planning on using the sump as a refugium as well??? With a 20 gallon you'll be tight on space...
You will need bulkheads to run your plumbing to your sump... This can be accomplished with either flex hose (tubing) or PVC pipe...This would run down to your sump and into your sump....As far as pumps are you planning on a submersible or external pump... External pumps would mean your 20 gallon would be drilled and submersible would be easier and quicker to setup, but again you run into space limitations with the 20 gallon with skimmer, pump, heater etc... What are you planning on equipment wise having in the sump?
good info. I just realized that your sump will be a 20.. stupid of me :rolleyes:
listen to acrylic. he knows what hes doin

willcon

i m putting a hangon skimmer heater and i will most likely use it as a refugiem its gonna be a reed setup, should i go with a 30 gallon?its a 65 gallon tank. :confused: