Sump Questions

the_bandit

Currently I have a 20g long sump/refugium that I am working on for my new mantis tank. Ive always been a big fan of mechanical filtration and have always had HOB filters. I decided to try a sump but I wanted to add maybe a small bag of charcoal and a filter sock to the sump to collect any floating detrius.
Could I put a filter sock over my intake hose to the sump so it could catch anything? If so, what type of sock would it need to be? Do companies make socks for this purpose? If not, what material do I need to make it out of?
I'd also like to add a bag of charcoal because Ive always been a big believer in it. How could I put it in my tank so it is safe? Some kind of container?
Any answers would be appreciated

posiden

Yes, they make filter socks just for the purpose of colecting detritus and the such. They go on the intake line of the sump/refug.
As for carbon, you can stuff a bag of it in between the baffels.
Your drawing looks good. The intake won't go to the bottom though. The filter sock will hang on and has a place to terminate the pipe into.
Just google the filter sock and you will see them, and take you pick on where to buy them. Good Luck.
Hope this helps.
Oh, I would probly make the third baffle from the left a little shorter. That way water will flow through the refugium and not over the top of it. The height will depend on how much sand you put in there.
You might look into an auto top off unit.

the_bandit

Thank you for all your info.
The drawing was just a quick sketch. It was already made before I bought it and had a refugium in it. Tank had been setup and running for a couple years so I guess the refugium was good.

posiden

Nice, I didn't realize that the sump was already built. Just get you some filter socks and you should be good to go.
Good Luck.

the_bandit

I was also wondering how I could reduce microbubbles. Im planning on putting the filter sock on which should help but the baffles dont help enough and microbubbles get into the DT still.
Can I add some sponge of somesort to help?
If so, what sponge and where can I find it?
And what do you mean just stuff a bag of carbon in my sump? What do I hold the carbon in? Should I just take a HOB filter bag and put in in the baffels?

jojo_b

The HOB filter bag should work fine, but you need to be able to tie it off at the top so no charcoal gets out.

posiden

Originally Posted by The_Bandit
http:///forum/post/3140444
I was also wondering how I could reduce microbubbles. Im planning on putting the filter sock on which should help but the baffles dont help enough and microbubbles get into the DT still.
Can I add some sponge of somesort to help?
If so, what sponge and where can I find it?
And what do you mean just stuff a bag of carbon in my sump? What do I hold the carbon in? Should I just take a HOB filter bag and put in in the baffels?

You can buy carbon in bags.
You can buy Chemi Pure which is in a bag.
I bought small nylon bags from the LFS, that I put my carbon in.