Sump/Refuge DIY Pics!

benihuma

It's tilting a bit, but no connections have been concreted yet. Still, I think I'll need some type of support.

benihuma

I'm thinking with the new sump and refuge, and all future water to come from this new toy, my water should be near perfect.

benihuma

Yeah, I'm lucky, no water bill here. Not til we build the house, then I'll be paying like everyone else. Thanks for all the praise, but I can't take the credit. I stole the sump/refuge part from Broomer, then added my own spraybar. I can't wait til I'm done and get it flowing.
More pics to come...
Ben

rsd

I did something very similar. I used a little giant to power my return/spraybar. I used a single 1/2 inch pipe to the n=bottom of my tank and "t'd" it the with holes being drilled all the way around it every inch or so. Realy random. It works awesome. My only request is that you drill a hole near the top... barley under the water level to break syphon in a power outage. My "syphon hole" is at the water level but it still drains close to 2 gallons before the syphon breaks. Do alot of testing!!! Also make sure you either glue on the spray bar or that you used threaded pipe. Turbo snails have forced off pieces of my spray bar as they tried to go behind it. I've fixed it now but it was a pain to move the rock to make adjustments.
Don't worry too much about too much flow either. Once it is dilluted over 20-30 holes it creates a relly nice current that blends and becomes really random.
Great job!!

osolow

abought the water bill my ro/di makes 1 water to 3 waste but I have owned this house abought a year and the biggest water bill I have ever got was $13.00 so if I have to pay $50.00 once to fill my 125 and 20.00 a month just to keep up with evaporation it's worth it. but I don't think it will be that much. I spend more the 20.00 a month on junk for my tank.
The one 1 way valve Jamesurq talked abought was one of the best things I put on my tank when power goes off I have no flowback from my spraybar.
I bought my from HD for $8.00
osolow

benihuma

Juggernaut,
I got the bioball chamber from my LFS. They had it lying around for a while and the price sticker came off, so when I was interested I just gave them a reasonable offer. The question I have is how deep in the water is the bioball chamber supposed to sit? 2-3 inches? Also, I've searched and some say to clean them periodically, some say to use a prefilter sock and never clean it. Mine came with a filter pad that the water passes through before the bioballs, so would that suffice? Is it benneficial to never clean them?
Ben

benihuma

Osolow,
Are the check valves that are available at home depot saltwater safe? The reason I ask is that I found one at petwarehouse dot com and it specified that it was saltwater safe.
Ben

benihuma

What type of ligting do you current refugium-users suggest I put over mine? I don't want to spend over $100. Will regular fluorescents work, or should I use PCs? Thanks for the help.
Ben

benihuma

What types of caulerpas and algaes do you suggest I stock the refugium with. Do I really need a dsb in the refugium since I already have one in the main tank? I'll put some lr in so that the algae/caulerpa has something to stick to, but if I can get away with no dsb, I'd like to.
Ben

osolow

I have seen them on other saltwater sites.
I hope so...
P.s. Made of all plastic.. so ya thay are ok....
I hope ....
osolow

foxthorn

Just a suggestion... but you could change the first and second 90-degree elbows that head up to the spray bar with two 45's instead.
This would free up some of the restriction on the flow that the 90's create. Yeah, you have a good size pump.. but then again, why use 90's if you don't have to.
Just my 2-cents :)

benihuma

I considered using 45s instead, but I had clearance issues. Hopefully all the 90s won't put too much restriction on the flow.
Ben

twicklund

Just want to add my kudos to a job well done. I also designed my setup, but it was more like a measure once cut three times type project. Turned out very well though. I truely believe that with enough trips to home depot, you can make anything work right.
Again, great job!
tw

melbournefl

There are saltwater safe check valves but they don't seal as tightly as the ones with a stainless steel spring. The one's sold at HD (here anyway) have the stainless spring which I'm just not comfortable with. I redesigned a lot of my planned circulation system to avoid having to use check valves anywhere at all. If you're looking for saltwater safe checkvalves aquatic eco-system sells them (careful, they also sell the one's with the stainless spring. Very nice setup you have there! Good luck!
Later,
Paul
Here are some pics of my sump construction project:
http://www.villagebistro.info/phpgal...p?exhibition=7
And some of the closed loop circulation system:
http://www.villagebistro.info/phpgal...p?exhibition=9

benihuma

Well, I missed the UPS man on Friday, so I should see him today with my Lifereef overlfows. I'll post some pics when they arrive.
Ben

von_rahvin

you can look it up, but form what i read . . each 90 you have in the system you lose approx 50 gph, same as every foot upwards. not a hard fact but a baseline to work with.

eng50

As far as the lighting on th efuge..Lights of America, 19.95, available at WalMart, 65watt PC fixture completely enclosed! Caulerpa grows like a weed under it!
HTH
Bill