Sump/Refuge question

We have kept a 55 gallon FOWLR tank for the past six months, and have run a skeleton filtration system. All we currently have is an Emperor 400 Bio wheel filter, heater, and two powerheads. All things combined, we are doing about 1,000 GPH of movement.
We just upgraded to Nova Extreme T5 lighting, with 4x54 (two white and two actinic). We did this so we could keep a few basic corals, anemones, zoos, etc.
I know for sure that we need a protein skimmer, that's a no brainer. After that, is where it all gets confusing to me.
I see all these complex sump and refuge systems, many tied in with their skimmers (at least I think), as well as overflows, and a variety of other odds and ends that I have NO IDEA what they are or what it is they do exactly.
Basically, I wanted to know if there was a beginners guide to upgrading a tank with all the bells and whistles, giving my tank the absolute best chance to host a variety of healthy and happy marine life.
Any suggestions, or links, or books would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a ton - Jonathan

ibew41

I dont know of a book you can buy ,but dont get an anemone yet your tank is little to new yet and have both the nova you have and a tec.The tank with the nova I would not keep sps or anemones you can search the equipment section on sumpss and fuge

mrmaroon

IMO- skip the anemone. It will probably die. Easy corals to start with inlcude many of the softies such as colts (aka kenya trees), leathers, zooanthids, yellow polyps, mushrooms, green star polyps (these will spread like a weed if your tank is healthy). Torches and hammers are also pretty easy, but I would try one of those after you get the hang of it.
As far as the skimmer-take a look at the Euroreef skimmers if you have the $. I have had noe for 4-5 years and it is great. So your tank is not pre-drilled with an internal overflow I take it?