Sump/Refugium

mindy2577

So I have decided that I am going to purchase all the makings to build a sump/refugium for my 44 gallon tank. However I have no idea where to start. I have looked online at a few different websites.
1. How big of a tank should I get?
Since its a 44 gallon pentagon, I am thinking that I will need to place it off to the side of the tank. I am going to build something like a cedar chest that can open on top and in front. Is this a bad idea?
2. For the baffles -Acrylic or Glass?
3. What kind of glue do I need to use?
For now..this is all I want to know..but as time goes on..I will have more questions.

natclanwy

Tank should be as large as you can fit, there is no right size tank for a given volume. The only recomendations are I would not go any smaller than a 20g and 29g or larger makes it easy to have plenty of space for a fuge, your skimmer, return pumps ect...
Glass is best in a glass tank if you can get the baffles cut at a reasonable price, otherwise acrylic will work fine just be sure and use at least 1/4" acrylic for the baffles and use a large bead of silicone on both sides of the baffles so that it creates a channel for the baffle to sit in. Use aquarium safe silicone or GE 100% silicone #1. for both the glass and acrylic panels.
If you get an acrylic tank use acrylic baffles and use weldon for the glue.

mindy2577

Bigger is better then?
And what do you think about the cedar chest box thingy. Will that work? I really don't have much space underneath because of what kind of tank I have.

natclanwy

Yes bigger is better, the more volume of water you have the more stable your water parameters will be.
The cedar chest will work fine just make sure you vent it so that condensation doesn't build up causing rot or fungus to start. My sump actually sits next to my tank and I have setup other tanks that use a side cabinet or chest for the sump to sit in.

bizzmoneyb

yup, the bigger the better. but id think a 20g would be fine for you.
use glass and silicone to hold it in place. silicone wont bond to acrylic so you would have to put it on really thick and just hold it in place, but it wouldnt truly to secured in there. you can buy small glass panes at home depot. buy the little glass cutter tool too and cut them yourself. i did it a few weeks ago, piece of cake. PM me if you have any questions or need any help.

keith burn

Originally Posted by Mindy2577
http:///forum/post/3031814
Bigger is better then?
And what do you think about the cedar chest box thingy. Will that work? I really don't have much space underneath because of what kind of tank I have.
You do not need to put it in a box.Buy a 30gal tank and stand just make it shorter than the one you have.Now with hob over flows it will work you can put cool stuf in it to look at.And it will be a good working sump aswell.My bud had a 20gal under the tank for the skimmer and jumk but a 40gal on the side as a sump and it is good to look at as the dt.He had a big fuge with fish and sweet look stuf aswell.If you try it i bet you will love.I am going to have a 125 with a 55 or 75 gal side sump.

keith burn

Originally Posted by Mindy2577
http:///forum/post/3032759
Sounds like a great idea but I can't leave it out.
I have a great dane and a curious cat.
I see,,, that well put a bad ending to the new sump lol well may try electric frnce

its not like it must be on the floor just not as tall as the d/t.

mindy2577

Haha...Last thing I need to see is my dog using it as a water bowl. Oh lord. I could see it now. Slober everywhere.