sump/refugium

burch2006

i've had my tanks for about 3 years now, but ive always used hob filters. I'm setting up a sump. My question is how do I prevent my tank from overflowing when I have a power outage since my drain pipes are running based on syphon how do I not overflow the sump?

geoj

The return line needs to have holes drilled in it at just below the water level of the DT to prevent excessive water from being siphoned out.
The sump needs enough extra capacity to take all the water in the lines when they drain.

geoj

This is Melevs pic
Attachment 234105
First you don’t need any holes in the overflow if it is like this pic...
Water should be pumped from the sump into the DT and over the overflow back to the sump.
For this type of box when the pump is turned off the water stops draining down to the sump.

jackri

The holes you drill break by sucking in air breaking the suction/gravity feed of it. Also make sure algae doesn't build over time clogging this as it can have very wet consequences.
Googling Melev's Reef is very informative.

geoj

Attachment 234107
When the pump stops the siphon starts draining to the sump. The water level in the DT drops and air goes in through the hole braking the siphon.

jackri

Great drawing showing the point. In my frag tank it doesnt even sit below the water and just trickles out barely noticeable -- but then my return pump is turned up as high as it could be but then again I don't use it for circulation -- just running through a skimmer and chaeto in the sump (and added volume).

posiden

Originally Posted by burch2006
http:///forum/post/3166053
How does that hole on the return line break the syphon from the tank to the overflow box?
Because the return output is below the water line in the DT. When the power goes out your return pump will siphon water back to the sump as long as it can. Many homes have been flooded because of the return pump return not being done proper. The OF box worked just like it should have but the return flooded the sump anyway. The water can go both ways through your pump.
The OF box "should restart" it siphon after a power outage. That is if it was built correctly. Getting an aqualifter pump to go along with the OF box is a good idea. It isn't mandated, but a good idea since air can form in the siphon tube as time goes on. The aqualifter will "help" you maintain your OF box. It will also aid in the restarting of the OF box in the event of a power failure, by helping to ensure there isn't any air in the siphon tubes.
I hope this helps. If you are still unclear, ask some more questions.

burch2006

thanks guys I got it. On my overflow box the drain to the sump isnt on the bottom its actually on the side is this going to cause me any problems? Also if I add an auto top off system to the sump will it actually affect the water in the DT tank or only effect evaporation from the sump?

posiden

Originally Posted by burch2006
http:///forum/post/3166349
thanks guys I got it. On my overflow box the drain to the sump isnt on the bottom its actually on the side is this going to cause me any problems? Also if I add an auto top off system to the sump will it actually affect the water in the DT tank or only effect evaporation from the sump?
The evap will be seen in the sump in the return chamber. The water level in the DT is set by the OF box.

bricsr

I am starting a reef tank and want to take out my bio balls and use the main part for a refugium
. is this a good idea?