Sump/refugum

ds450x

Im looking to setup a sump/refugum for my 75 gallon tank setup with a coralife 220 skimmer. I want to build a sump or refugum. What would be the best way to do this? And what do you recommend building it out of? I have an extra 20 gallon long tank and might be able to get a 30 gallon tank. Or some people use rubbermaids? And how many compartments should it have and what should be in each compartment? And do I need an actual filter? right now im running a marinland biowheel filter. Where is the best place to get a decent overflow box? Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right the first time. Diagrams would help too :)

mr_x

well, your skimmer has a Footprint Required for Sump(L x W): 9.00"x8.00", so , you can use either tank. i would not use the rubbermaid if you want a refugium. the 30 would be my choice. i suggest separating the sump into 3 parts, in this order- intake with skimmer, refugium, return. in the first compartment, you'd have the skimmer. the second compartment would have a little sand or alot of sand. it's up to you. plus, some rubble rock and macroalgae, along with a light over top. the third compartment will hold your return pump.
this is an actual filter. you don't need a cannister or hang-on, if that's what you mean.
as for overflow boxes, most on this website like the "J" tube style overflows, but i like the CPR overflows, which require the aqualifter pump.
either way, what i would do is g o o g l e overflow boxes, and find the cheapest one i liked.
sleaze-bay might be a good place as well.
*edit*
i say this assuming you have atleast 75 pounds of live rock in the display. the live rock, the skimmer, and the refugium will be all you need[ in terms of filtration on a medium bioload system.

ds450x

Okay thanks Mr. X. I was going to message you because you seem pretty familar with sumps but i didnt. I will try to get the 30 gallon tank but if I cant I will just have to settle for the 20. I have an overflow box like your talking about but idk where to get the kind of air pump that I need for it? And do you have any source or know where I can get a diagram of how my balffles in my sump should be set up and spaced apart? and how many gph should i try to get near? I have about 80 pounds of ls right now and about 60 of lr but im going to order more lr soon and then im going to setup my sump. Im just working piece by piece so I do everything right. Where do I buy this micro algea and what kind light does it need, just a regular light? Thanks for you help

mr_x

go to home depot and purchase a simple clip on fixture like the one pictured below. go to the bulb isle, and look at the energy saver curly-q bulbs. alot of them have the kelvin temperature listed right on the ballast part of the bulb. look for one that has a temp of 6500k. as for macroalgae, i'll give you some for free if you feel like driving out here.
as for the baffle placement in sump, it's basically personal preference. i make the first chamber large enough to hold my skimmer pretty easily, then the second chamber where you will keep the refugium, should be as large as you can make it. the third chamber will need to be large enough to hold your return pump. important
: the third chamber will be the only place you see evaporation. make sure it's either large enough to account for regular evaporation, or you have an auto top-off in place.
as for the height of the baffles, a few things should be considered-
1. the skimmer has a recommended water height. most are about 10" deep. this first chamber needs to be either 10" deep, or the skimmer needs to sit on something to prop it up to that level.
2. above the baffles there should be enough empty space, to accomidate the extra water that will drain from the display in the event of a power outtage. if you set up your system right, this should be minimal, but a minimal amount in a 75 gallon tank can fill alot of a 20 long, so think this out.
3. the depth of the refugium. do you want to make your baffles 10" tall to accomidate for your skimmer? this will mean your refugium is only 10" deep. after some sand and maybe a few pieces of rubble rock, that doesn't leave much room for macroalgae.
here is the light many people use. the fixture and bulb together should cost about 10 bucks.

D

dennis210

Sumps any more are like leaves, there are many kinds and colors. You have a 75 gallon tank now. Any plans on going bigger? Any plans on running multiple tanks off the same sump? When you design your own sump think ahead a little. What are you trying to acomplish with a sump? Get all equipment out of your tank, filter the water, make it easier and less stressfull on tank for topoffs and additions of addatives, & possibly add refugium.
OK now this is IMHO your best bet is to add a 3 chambered sump, first section where water enters and is dumped thru a bluebonded filter pad and then live rock rubble. The idea is to strain out large particulate matter flowing into sump and then let the pieces of rock (golf ball to baseball size)
filter water - unlike bioballs nitrate will also be assimulated. After passing by a 2 part or baffled wall you would have section 2 - skimmer, heaters, carbon filtration, chiller, etc would be house in this chamber. After another 2 part or baffled wall you have the return section of sump housing a pump. I am alwful partial to Quiet Ones.
With a set up like this you have an overflow onthe back of display tank, a return nozzle, and then just your other PH's for flow. If room allows under or beside your tank and sump then add on a refugium. A 10 gallon tank works great. Build a wooden platform to allow it to sit 3 or 4 inches higher than the sump. Have the local glass shop drill a hole near the top on the side that would sit next to the sump. Run a 90' fitting inside and down a few inches while placing a barb on outside. Run flexible overflow hose direct to 3rd chamber of sump. Use a Small PH to pump water from second section into refugium and have sand and maybe chaeto in it. Light with inexpensive light.
Complete sump and refugium system that can be expanded to larger system.
The 29 gallon tank works well.
Dennis

ds450x

Thanks everyone. This gave me some good ideas on what I should look for. I think im gonna try what Mr. X said for right now and build it all into one setup. THe only thing I had a problem with before when I tried to build a sump was how to control the bubbles and the noise coming out of the pipe from the overflow box? What can I do to help this and to help the water from splashing out of the sump? And I already have one of those lights under my tank so im good with that. But how many gph should I try for? Alot or I dont need alot?

ds450x

THe overflow box I have now doesnt fill up the outside box like the CPR does in the picture and mine sucks all kinds of air down the tube with the water. Does the CPR help stop this? Is this why mine has such a bad problem with bubbles in the sump and water splashing around?

mr_x

no. the cpr will do the same thing. the easiest way to stop this is to get a piece of airline tubing, about 10" long and run it down the drain hole until it gets quiet. the air will be sucked through the airline tubing instead of mixing with the water going down. a slightly larger tube will work better. something as thick as a pencil perhaps. you'll have to moveit up and down until you get it nice and quiet, then just tape it off or fasten it somehow so it doesn't fall down the hole.

ds450x

Im sorry but I dont understand how that will work. My outside box doesnt have any kind of sponge or anything. The water never gets over a 1/2 high and the bulkhead sticks up that much and the water swirls and drops down the tube. My tube and bulkhead are about 1 1/2 inches or the size of a normal pool hose, Its really big. Is this normal?

ds450x

I wonder if I can get the screen and foam from a cpr to fit mine and I think that will help quiet mine down some.

datsun79

I want to set up a refugium too. Can you guys post pictures of your refugiums to get bette ideas on how to set it up? My tank is 180gal. and I want to set up a 30-40gal refugium.

mr_x

Originally Posted by ds450x
http:///forum/post/2769630
Im sorry but I dont understand how that will work. My outside box doesnt have any kind of sponge or anything. The water never gets over a 1/2 high and the bulkhead sticks up that much and the water swirls and drops down the tube. My tube and bulkhead are about 1 1/2 inches or the size of a normal pool hose, Its really big. Is this normal?
yes. it's normal. and the airline tubing trick will work. try it.

ds450x

Okay I will try it. I have several different size hoses that I can try. I am going to see if I can get a screen and sponges from a cpr to fit in mine to see if this will help out. So just stick it down the drain for the overflow box until it gets quiet? I know mine sucks more air down it then water. haha
and I had a problem when I tried it before that the water entering the sump splashed all over and the bubbles went all out of the tank. Would a filter sock fix this or is there something else I can do to help?

b0b82

The BBs will be gone soon as I am growing some LR to replace them.I have a 125 DT and the sump is 52"X18"X16" it fills all the space under.I made my water level so thet my refuge and my return take up the everopation. I have about a 10 gallon buffer for evap and over flow.