Sump return runs dry

truehle

I'm stumped. I have a 125gal DT with a newly setup DIY 33gal sump/refugium.
The overflow box is an Eschopps 1200, rated for 1000gph. There are x2 1" lines extending from the overflow box to my sump into a filter sock. I have the pvc extending about 3" below the water line. Each 1" line has x2 ball valve, x1 union coupling, and x1 ball valve. I should be able to get 600 gph each for a total of 1200gph max.
My return pump is a mag-drive 9.5. On the 1" PVC return line, there is 3.5ft of head pressure, x5 90 degree elbows, x2 union couplings, and x1 ball valve. From charts, I expected a maxium of 750gph through the pump when I derate due to head loss.
When I turn on the sump pump, the water very quickly lower in the return section, and within 10-15 seconds will start to pull air. The U-tube is completely filled with water, and water seem to be "generously" pouring into the overflow box. (There isn't suppost to be 2 U-tubes on this particular model is there?) I do get some surge and "burping" in the filter sock, but can that be limiting my flow that much?
Other info...In the sump, baffles are separated by 1", and bubble traps have the center baffle up 1" from the bottom. I'm also using a 200 micron filter sock.
Currently, I'm having to almost close the ball valve on the return line to prevent the levels from dropping. I'm at a loss.... Where do you think my flow is being restricted by that much???

renogaw

have you tried adding more water? it takes a while for overflows to start letting water back down to the sump

truehle

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3022944
have you tried adding more water? it takes a while for overflows to start letting water back down to the sump
I've had the system running for about 20 minutes now, but I have the ball valve on the return line turned about 45 degress to prevent sump from drying out.

salt210

did you add water tho? if there isnt enough water in there this will happen. you shouldnt have to use the ball valve if the numbers that you gave are correct

truehle

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3023308
did you add water tho? if there isnt enough water in there this will happen. you shouldnt have to use the ball valve if the numbers that you gave are correct
That's where my headache comes in.
I put the ball valve in as a just-in-case.
The overflow box has no problem draining all the water the u-tube can provide from the prefilter box in the DT. I can even remove the prefilter box from the system, and still not enough water gets back into the sump.
I thought a mag-drive 9.5 (750gph at 5.3 ft head pressure) and Eshopps overflow rated at 1000 gph were a perfect match. Guess I was very very wrong.
So it possible that ever though it "looks" like the u-tube can't supply enough water that its really the laborious path back to the sump thats causing the issue?

posiden

Friend, take more RO water and add it to the tank. You don't have enough water in the system to run at the correct level.

tropills

increase your drain pipes from your over flow box to 1.5 inch PVC. and fill your tank so it fills your sump all the way till it's about 1 inch from the top turn on the return pump and you should be fine.

wattsupdoc

I answered this question allready in the other thread posted regarding it. Apparently you dont believe my reply. Nor do you want for it to be true. Badly designed sump and poorer designed drain plumbing. Sorry, but thats the truth.

truehle

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/3023717
I answered this question allready in the other thread posted regarding it. Apparently you dont believe my reply. Nor do you want for it to be true. Badly designed sump and poorer designed drain plumbing. Sorry, but thats the truth.

Those are some fighting words there.
No, no, no. Not true. I thought this thread fit under both subjects, and I wanted as many responses as I could get. And, to further prove that wasn't my intention you can see that the original posts were put up within a minute of each other...before you had an opportunity to reply in the first place.
Please don't make the assumption that I'm trying to disregard anything your telling me.
Some people don't read the DIY section and some don't read the beginners section.

wattsupdoc

I understand. Read the other thread, you will see my perspective. Can you post the details of the sump? All measurements and layout. I'll run the numbers for you.

truehle

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/3024227
I understand. Read the other thread, you will see my perspective. Can you post the details of the sump? All measurements and layout. I'll run the numbers for you.
Please refer to other thread for continuation.... thanks