sump tank under stand,need advice

Ok I'm setting up a 5ft long 105g tank,it sits on a matchong Oceanic stand. I went and bought a used tank in order to use it as a sump and reugium. The problem is that the tank is BIGGER then I thought. It turns out to be 4ft long and hold 48g.I've heard that when it comes to sump size the bigger the better well now its too big. The only way I could get it to fit is if I unscrew the top cross supports and slide the sump tank inn from the top :confused: Even then that would only leave me with 1ft of space left in the stand(which I could prob deal with)
My ? is should I make the tank fit or should I just scratch that idea and look for a smaller tank, or 1 tank for ref. and another for sump? Or maybe try to find someone to custom make me a sump(I can't afford to spend much :( )
What do ya think??

johnnysalt

Have you already made your dividers/baffles, etc. in the sump? I have about a foot left over in my stand too and I still had room for test kits, additives, etc. You can make a shelf in that leftover space if you need to. You're skimmer will be in the sump too right? IMO, custom sumps are overpriced....DIY. I would leave it just like that....put it in there, screw your supports back on and go with it! What is your plumbing like? all pvc? tubing? what size is your return? oh yeah, I remember now....it's the hot tub one from your work....It's the HOT TUB SUMP! :cool:

LOL Johny, Well I wasn't going to use the hot tub pump because I don't think its enough flow for the 105g (I'm still using one on the 58g though)No I still havent added the baffles to the sump tank yet. It's been onething after another first I sliced the side of my foot wide open and needed stiches now I have a real bad case of pneumonia :( Yes I will have the skimmer in the sump too. I have been thinking of just using a wet/dry sump as my sump and then using a another tank for the ref. but stil trying to decide. Also I'll most likely be using 1" flex PVC for the overflow to the sump and the return(maybe 3/4" flex)
So you see if I need to scratch the 48g sump now is the time to do so before I go and add the baffles,etc

mr . salty

I think you would be better off having a seperate refugium.The flow rate in a refugium MUST be under 100gph to really work..Having a ref/sump combo means that the flow rate through the ref part will be too high to be effective.There are creative ways to reduce the flow in one section of a multi chamber sump,but I remain skeptical,,these are subject too breakdowns and floods....

Good evening Mr.Salty :)
Thanks for giving you thoughts.I understand about the low GPH needed for a refugium and was planning on feeding it only a small amount(like you suggest). My rough thoughts on the sump/ref. design were to dedicate one side of the sump (about 1/3-1/2) for the refugium. Then use the other half for sump purposes with a few baffles to cut down on bubbles and have room my Berlin Skimmer, heater and probes for my octopus controller. I just took measurements of the tank (sump tank) 48"LX12"DX19"H. I hope that maybe you can help dedicate the space to were it is best used. It would be nice salty if you could support this type of set up ;)
I figured that if I made a good strong divider for the ref. wall that it would be like using two seprate tanks. :confused:

ironreef

I like separate refugiums but you still can make a nice sump one. Baffels and keeping it separate . = low flow it will work. just maintain a divider 1-2" from the top of water level you wish to keep.I would divid in 3-4 the refugium in one corner the return(from main tank) water in the other corner. return pump and skimmer (if using one) in the middle . Some thing like that. But having a sump to big means only submerged pumps unless you keep a pump out of the stand. Otherwise it will work. i would think over what equipment I must/will/would have now and in the future. If you not sure I would nix the tank and find a 3' one.

Well I can't think of any other equipment that I will need in the future other then maybe a cac. reactor. I would like to keep the amount of equipment as low as poss., Thats why I' going w/ a DSB&LR in the main tank and a refugium w/LS,LR and other lil' good stuff. I hoping that w/ this type of setup I won't need too much more for a reef tank.
If I take out the center supports on the stand I know i can fit the 48g in the stand then just screw the support back. Then i wouln definitly be useing the largest sump possiable.
Any more tips or suggestion would be nice :cool: