Sump Troubles: Need Some Help

kevin34

Would a barbed aquatic ball valve made by Two Little Fishes work? I could put that right below the T to regulate the water flow and turn it completely off when I need to.

wangotango

During a power failure or if you return pump is off, a little water from the tank will drain into the sump, but it will stop at a certain point, it's normal. Once it's done draining, just detach the pump from the line clean it, then reattach it. If you want a type of "shut off valve" look into a check valve.
-Justin

kevin34

Like explained above by TurningTim I want a valve that I can use to completely stop the water flow so I can remove the pump and clean it. So would that be a shut off valve, ball valve, or check valve?

wangotango

If you want something that will work automatically then I think a check valve is what you want, but I'm not 100% certain as I just let my tank drain.
-Justin

kevin34

So if I get a ball valve to shut off the water to remove the pump, could I still have a check valve installed between the ball valve and pump from power outages?
P.S. A ball valve would allow me to stop the flow when I want to right?

wangotango

I think it would be a good idea to use a check and ball valve. Yes you would have to close the ball valve manually. Are you running your pump externally? If so you may want to add a union so you can detach it from you plumbing easier. Hopefully someone with more plumbing experience will chime in and tell you how to lay it all out.
-Justin

kevin34

The pump will not be run externally. It will be submerged in my sump. Does that change anything?

wangotango

In that case you don't really need the union fitting, but it might be nice to have if you're using all PVC pipe and not clear vinyl tubing. The megaflows are designed to drain only a certain amount of water back into the sump, and as long as you aren't running the water too high in there, you shouldn't have a problem with overflowing during a power failure. Once it stops draining, you can still remove the pump and reinstall it without a problem, but I do agree that a check valve is a nice thing to have.
-Justin

flricordia

Originally Posted by Kevin34
If a piece like that was plastic would it work?
Plastic garden hose 'Y' fittings still have metal screws and also they have small through openings so you are going to restrict your flow. Just spend the extra few $ and get a 3/4" PVC shut-off valve.

justkris9

If you are using a check valve, I wouldn't waste the money on a manual valve. Once you unplug the pump the flap on the check valve will close anyway.

turningtim

A little explanation. The shut off valve is put in place to control flow to the main tank and is used to shut off water from the tank to the pump. When the power goes out the MT will "backwash" into the sump. This will fill the sump with water if calculated correctly the sump will fill almost to the top with out over flowing. So a check valve is not necessary and in some cases they will stick and not work at all. I don't trust check valves to control back wash.
So you turn off the pump and the sump is full of water and you need to remove the pump for cleaning. Well try that without making a mess! That is why if you turn off the shutoff valve and then the pump your sump will not fill with the backwash and much easier for maintenance.
Unions are much easier to deal with rather than pulling off the vinyl from the barbs. You're tubing should be clamped down with plastic hose clamps and these would need to be replaced every time you wanted to pull the pump out.
Both the shut-off and coupler are conveniences but well worth the couple of bucks and added time to install.
JMHO
Tim

kevin34

Well the top of my pump is threaded and I found the right size bard that fits right onto the end of my pump so when I need to clean it I would only have to unscrew the barb from the pump. The vinyl tube would never have to come off.