Sump Water Change????

tdog7879

I do a 10 gal water change a week and i have been doing though the sump instead of the DT is this ok? or should i take some water from the DT every now and then? Sorry for the dumb question just had to ask.

mr_x

it's all the same water. i drain a section of my sump when i do a water change also.

tdog7879

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2829343
it's all the same water. i drain a section of my sump when i do a water change also.
yeah but mine is a 20 gall so i have to drain the return,the overflow, and some out of the refugium.

The only reason you should take water out of the DT is if your rock or sand is dirty. Other wise its all the same water and you don't have to worry about it.

bob on this

I added a tee and a ball valve to my return pump. When it's time for a water change, I close the valve to the tank, and open the ball valve (with a short hose), and let the pump push the water into my bucket.
After adding the new salt water, I let the pump just contune to run back into the sump, letting it mix with the sump water for 1/2 hour, then slowly reopen the valve to the DT.
When temp, PH are all stable, then close the ball valve, and I'm done.

mr_x

na. it will be ok. the ph of my water is good before i add it to my system. i assume your water is thoroughly mixed and heated before adding it too. no problem. the pods in your refugium will thank you for the new water with essential compounds in it!

trouble93

I thought one of the benefits of having a sump/refuge was to be able to stay out of the display tank as much as posible. When I do a water change as a matter of fact I just finshed doing one, I take water from my back overflow box and replace it right into my sump. Supplements if needed media aswell. Then I have a canister to run just carbon.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by privatejoker
http:///forum/post/2829348
The only reason you should take water out of the DT is if your rock or sand is dirty. Other wise its all the same water and you don't have to worry about it.
I do the display because I siphon off the rocks and suck up as much as I can from using the glass scraper but otherwise doesn't matter.