Sump, Wet/Dry Filter Suggestions

max42

I have a new 55G reef setup (7+ weeks) using 2 Canister filters. I understand that a sump, or wet/dry filter is a better setup than canisters (based on maintenance efforts) not necessarily on effectiveness.
I'd would like some recommendations for a sump or wet/dry filter system to replace my canisters. Thanks for the help........

max42

I've looked at the forums and haven't really found good details on sizes, brands, etc etc. I think wet/drys are not good for a reef tank, right?

forcrz6

Wet drys are very good for a reef. They allow the Microbes to develop that provide nutrition to the tank, and eat the Lousy Ammonia. As far as the Canister or sump. You can go either way.
The reasons that I like a sump compared to a canister filter
1. Allows you to expand your tank more (Like being able to put the skimmer on the sump and not the back of the tank)
2. Clean Install. (this looks a lot better then having diffrent filters canisters and skimmers all over the place.
3. Ez water changes.
4. If you need to, this is where you would mix in your Chemicals for the main display tank
5. Allows Bigger and better equipment to be put on the current tank. This way if you want to upgrade you are well on your way
6. More filtration options in a Sump. If you want you can put a "Drip plate" above the rocks and a filter pad on the drip plate. Now you are pre screening what has already been screened by the Sock.
7. Socks for the Sump are less expensive then filter pads.
8. Refuge. You can add a fuge to a sump to provide natrual Kelp and other "Good Algies" to the tank and good Critters "Pods"
Your best bet is to build your own Sump.
For your 55g you can use a 30g long for your sump.
A 30g long is about $50
Do a search on Youtube for(( Reef Tank DIY Sump part 1 )) andd part 2 of course.
((((((NOTE You DO NOT HAVE TO DRILL IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO
))
I followed the instructions from this and it works BEAUTIFULLY.
Really you are only looking around $80 if you build the sump as apposed to $200.
But that is your best bet

max42

Thanks for the reply. I will look up the you tube references when I get home (they block this site from work). I don't mind making my own but need good plans & directions, pump requirements, etc. I think a 30L would fit under my 55G stand. It would be nice to move the heater and skimmer. Definately looking to reduce maintenance. I would elect not to drill.
What did you mean by "Allows Bigger and better equipment to be put on the current tank"?

forcrz6

Originally Posted by max42
http:///forum/post/2940009
What did you mean by "Allows Bigger and better equipment to be put on the current tank"?
Well lets say that later on you want to get a bigger tank. Well you would need to upgrade the Skimmer and the Return pump and other equipment like a Calc reactor etc.
Well you will have the room to do this with a sump. You can take out your old small skimmer and replace it with a bigger better 1
Same for the Return pump same for the calc reactor.
It just gives you a lot of options.
Also dont worry the Video is great and the instructions are detailed.

fishkid13

I just started running an amircale wet/dry. It seems to be doing a good job. But I would go with Forcrz6, $80 is much better than $200. 1+Forcrz6