sump

keith&erin

i just made a sump using #4 acrylic cement. my question is: should i silicone the inside also?? how do i clean the inside of my sump to make sure none of the chemicals from the cement get into my main tank and kill my fish??

reefchem

can you provde some details about your sump. Is it glass with acrylic baffles, acrylic with acrylic baffels, etc?

acrylic51

If it's made of acrylic and you used weldon4 then there is no need to silicone the seams......You can for your own piece of mind, but in all honesty the weldon is stronger than any silicone joint......The weldon seam where you joined if done correctly won't break, but it could break elsewhere if you tried to.....Plus silicone doesn't stick or bond very well to acrylic and at the seams where there would be pressure, and yes there is pressure even though the sump isn't full of water the silicone wouldn't hold anyways if the seams would come apart.....
Best advice is to water test and flow test your sump and check for leaks......and don't worry about the silicone, because it will take away from the nice weld joints on your sump, plus it won't hold up against pressure and bond well anyways....You'd have to scruff up the area you'll be applying the silicone to to get it to stick well.....