Sump

ntank20

I have had my tank set up for 6 months now. I was wondering if it was to late to set up a sump. Also do I even need a sump for my tank. The only thing I don't like about my canister filter is it puts all these bubbles into my tank and makes it look like crap. If someone could give me any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

ntank20

ok. I just have no clue how to get started. I already have my tank where it is at and there is no more room in my room to put another tank. Would a 20 gallon tank be sufficient for a sump. I could put it under my tank in my cabinet but then where would I put my canister filter? Would I even have to use a canister filter. Would I also put my protein skimmer in the sump too. Just a few questions I have.

joncat24

2o gallone would be fine, you can put the skimmer in the sump or hang it on the sump, also place heaters and macro algaes in sump too.
all you need is an overflow box and a return pump that is matched to the overflow. for instance a 600gph overflow, you will need approx 700gph return due to head loss. I recomend a mag 7 and a 600 gph continuous siphon overflow.
google these items and get back with any more questions

joncat24

do a search on here and you will find a wealth of info on sumps and refugiums , with pics included.