Sump?????

freeweights

How exactly does a sump work?I imagine it being like a hang-on filter with filter pads and that bio pad that you just rinse out.I have a Eclips 3 "37" gal with a filter built in the hood. Would i be better off, and for what reason to get a sump??? Just getting started on saltwater and need some basic info.

G

garychef1

most sumps are bleow the tank in a cabinet. They need to have an overflow box to bring water down, and a return pump to send the water back up. The water that is shot p gets directed with fow nozzles to optimize flow. In a sump it goes through filter pads, protiem skimmer, and even reactors if you wish. THere are often buble traps to removee micro bubbles. Most sumps even have refugiums with LR, LS, and chaeto. Many people even have Auto top off devices, a swith thet detecs low water and triggers a pump to turn on and pump in water from a seperate water containing reservoir. Sumps have loads of benifits. They are superior to other methods of filtration, the airate the water, for water changes, you dont take water from the tank you take it out of the sump so the livestock are unharmed, and you can probably make one yurself using glass or acrylic. For a 30 gallon sumps are not needed, but i would have one nonetheless. With a 30 gallon you probably only need a 10 gallon sump which would probably take out the use of reactors or skimmers, but you could definitly have a place for filtration media like pads or pellets (phosguard, purigen, matrix...) and even a mini built in refugium. Best way to go for pristine tank water.

bamaeskie

Originally Posted by freeweights
How exactly does a sump work?I imagine it being like a hang-on filter with filter pads and that bio pad that you just rinse out.I have a Eclips 3 "37" gal with a filter built in the hood. Would i be better off, and for what reason to get a sump??? Just getting started on saltwater and need some basic info.

See, I'm in the same boat. I'm hopefully going to start a 75 gallon FOWLR tank soon. I've been doing lots of research. When it comes to the sump and all that other stuff under the cabinet, I'm still so confused. I had no idea that the sump could be used for the water changes. That sounds so much easier. So the sump and skimmer (for larger tanks) can go under the cabinet? Let me ask you this since I haven't come across the answer yet. I'm confused about where the RO/DI unit comes into play. Can it be directly hooked up to the sump?

trigger11

Most of the time a sump is going to be used to hide your heater, and protein skimmer. Additionally, they are beneficial because you do need to have a return pump which will increase your water flow. Water flow is important if you are planning on keeping corals.
For a smaller sized tank I would consider having a refugium instead of a sump. And even then I have become more of a fan of the sump/fuge for larger sized tanks.
As far as the question about RO/DI goes. The RO/DI is basically a unit that will make filtered water for you. It is best to use filtered water over tap water to do your top off water which replaces the fresh water that evaporates out. So yes, you could add an auto top off system that could connect to a sump. I myself wouldnt use an auto top off system unless you had like a 125G tank or larger, set up as a reef, with the hot MH lights. In that kind of set up you will have a lot of evaporation and would be a pain putting in fresh water every day.