Sump!

clayton

Heres my idea of a good set up:
Tank has plenum and 3-4 inches substrate.
Water runs from tank into sump underneath. First goes throug spray bar, over filter wool and then through drip plate. Then falls through 2 cubic feet of 'dry' filter medium (bioballs etc). Water then travels through 6 inches of wet medium (alfa grog, biomax,siporax etc). Water exits chamber at very bottom.
Second chamber contains fluidised bed filter and protein skimmer ( nitrate filter also preferable).
Third chamber has room for carbon, polyfilter, phoszorb etc.
Third chamber has heaters, pumps etc.
You do not have to include all of this but the more the better.
See Martin Moes, Marine Systems and Maintenence for designs.

I am not as adventurous as to build my own sump, so where could I find one at a store, what does it look like, and how does it work, where do you put it? I have a very small tank, that my fish are starting to grow out of, and within the next month I am hoping to have a bigger, more productive fish tank with all the works.

clayton

As far as I know it's just a name for the filter under the tank or the section that houses the pump in the wet/dry filter or whatever you have.Look up wet/dry filters, they are just a smaller tank that sits underneath that is devided into chambers.

OKay, I don't have an under filtration, but i have an ecplise tank and filter system, that has a little tank at the top that water runs through and then goes through the bio wheel and everything, is that something like a sump, just not the undergravel kind? Or am I completely wrong?

clayton

Check the dictionary. It's not a special word for fish keepers. Yours may have a sump but an undergravel would not.
P.S wet and dry filters are easy to make!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you can buy a "sump", though, hey, maybe some genius will decide to actually patent a sump someday for us fish-keepers. I'm sure we'd be glad to put out a few hundred bucks for such a setup!
The term is used in the hobby, but it is up to the hobbyst to make the sump, putting into it whatever they want to put into it such as: biological, mechanical filtration, skimmer, heater, etc..... Its a great opportunity for hobbyists to experiment without getting into too much trouble. So, if you want a "sump", then start out with a plain old glass aquarium [the bigger the better, but any size will do], run "in-out" tubing to and from tank and sump [using a pump to get water circulating from tank to sump and back again], then have fun deciding whatever the heck you want to put in it. If you don't like a bunch of bulky, unsightly equiptment in the main setup, the sump is a great place to put all that stuff! You can do most of your filtration in the sump and leave your tank alone [or almost alone].
Have fun!.....[Hey, this kinda put me in the mood to get going on my own "sump" LOL]
[This message has been edited by beth (edited 06-01-2000).]

clayton

Amiricle make wet/dry filters at about £300 (American company) but it is far cheaper and more effective to customise your own.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I stand corrected! A bit of midnite reading last nite and I did find [and saw some pics of] commercially made sumps [some even hang on the rear of the tank rather than below the tank.
However, I think those who like sumps also kinda like putting them together, and even changing the contents some as they grow with their tank and the hobby.