Sumps, Mechanical vs. Natural..

mony97

I am embarking on yet another sump building project and this time want it to be spot on, and not find design flaws AFTER I build it *hits head against wall repeatedly*
So as the title states what would you recommend mechanical vs natural? or filters vs refugium? if you will..
I figure natural is the way to go and will have less potential issues with algae growth in the DT but I have a very small space to fit any sort of sump not to mention a fuge under the tank.. I would have to go custom and may be pricey?
My second option is to make a much simpler sump myself and make use of some filter pads and chemi pure as needed.. I am very diligent with husbandry and would change or clean them regularly so..
All in all though I want to hear what you believe is better and the pros and cons for both..
P.S. Have read the sump sec. in conscientious marine aquarist so have a good foundation but as always looking for some hands on help from all of you :)

btldreef

Honestly, a refugium is the best option.
I do weekly water changes, have good practices, etc. but nothing compared to me adding a refugium to my tank.
I was a no refugium person for a long time do to limited space in an apartment while my house is finished, but I finally broke down, and have since added one to just about every one of my tanks, even if it's tiny.