Sumps

Y

yae4volcom

What exactly is a sump?
Why is it good?
Can you just attach one to a "Reef Ready" tank?
What do you do to a tank to make it "Reef Ready"

Y

yae4volcom

Im sort of confused. So if I got a Reef Ready tank it would come with pumps and a sump and everything already connected and ready to "Plug and Play"?
I saw a 100 gallon tank and 1/3 of the acctual tank was sealed off with another peace of glass and the space sealed off was fiilled with bio balls. I really wouldnt want that because that would take away a ton of space on a 55.
Please Help unconfuse me:confused:

beaslbob

Originally posted by YAE4Volcom
I saw a 100 gallon tank and 1/3 of the actual tank was sealed off with another peace of glass and the space sealed off was filled with bio balls. I really wouldn't want that because that would take away a ton of space on a 55.
Please Help unconfuse me:confused:

I agree with your concerns here. Although My 55g is fish/inverts I still would not want any large part of the tank taken up by some filtration device. I think that is why people have a sump.
I do culture macro algae in another tank and transfer it to my 55g once a week. Kinda a low tech non sump type device LOL. I am considering manually exchanging water between the two every week. For now I am just letting things settle out.

delphi

Thanks Kip for all the great info!!! I am such a newbie I can't imagine trying to start into this hobby without a place like this to get info. and ask ?'s
I am compiling a list of things to buy and it just got longer. I think I am going to go with the sump/fuge system. It sounds very logical to me. The more natural the better. I also really like the idea of having most of the waterworks hidden, without huge filters and skimmers hanging off the display.
You stated beware of cheap skimmers. Which should I stay away from? Which are the good ones? I would rather purchase quality from the begining, instead of having to replace sub-par equip. But I am just a lowly IT guy. So, quality but cost effective. :D
Thanks again Kip!!!

Y

yae4volcom

Thanks a bunch Kipass. I think What Im going to do is Get my tank all set up and then look into adding sump. And to answer your question its going to be a reef tank but probably just a FOWLR at first. Is it hard to add a sump by yourself. I guess I always have this forum :D

Y

yae4volcom

The hang-on skimmer I was looking at is the bakpak 2R. Im pretty sure on which hang on skimmer I want, but what kind of hang on filter should I get? Do you have any suggestions?

Y

yae4volcom

Hey I just thought of something.......The hang on filter would be great because then when I get a sump Ill just have to move it.
By the way. When you have a sump do you still use a filter?
Dumb question but I am a begginer at all of this.:rolleyes:

beaslbob

Originally posted by YAE4Volcom
Hey I just thought of something.......The hang on filter would be great because then when I get a sump Ill just have to move it.
By the way. When you have a sump do you still use a filter?
Dumb question but I am a begginer at all of this.:rolleyes:

the only dumb question is the one not asked.
The sump is or at least contains the filter. Just make sure you filter media is moved to the sump and has water flow over it. That way the bacterial is maintained and feeds the sump. After some initial period the bacteria will have spread to other areas of the sump so the original filter media may be removed.
I also recommend you check out macro algae to help balance and stablize the system.

delphi

This might be considered cheating by some, BUT....
Are there any companies that sell complete sump/fuge kits?
I just thought I would ask...

stumpdog

Delphi-
Yeah there are but they are super easy and cheap to build. If you really want to buy one instead just do an online search.
Thanks-
Jeremy

escape2thewater

Very sweet set up Kip! This is one of the most informative and best threads ive ssen on this topic. Thanks a lot! Your drawing and then "Real life" pic really help us new guys make sence of this stuff. Thanks again!
Kyle