Sun Coral and your Thoughts

druluv

I feed my tank every day so I guess I can take a stab at it. Only problem is that if I go away it can be problems.

viper_930

Originally posted by druluv
I feed my tank every day so I guess I can take a stab at it. Only problem is that if I go away it can be problems.

Not exactly what kip meant. He meant that you have to spot feed each head individualy every other day or so.

druluv

Well I have my turkey baster and normally use it to feed corals and inverts(RBTA) that accept solid foods(brine, cytopleeze, etc)

greatfullreefer

I feed my corals twice per week at midnight, first i turn off pumps then blow a little brine on sun coral to coax it out. I then feed all my other corals with one hand whilst fending of cleaner shrimps with the other..lol..by the time all the others are fed the sun is open and ready to chow, i then using a turkey baster spot feed the coral, i cant say i get all the polyps as new ones seem to grow every week, keeps getting bigger. I believe that keeping the sun coral in a strong flow is way more important than keeping it out of light. Yes it is true that they are not photosynthetic (spell check) but direct light will not hurt them. Putting them in a cave or under an overhang usually means a low flow area which is a big no-no. Also they need to be out of the sand.

jmesmcm

I have two of them, one orange and one black and they are definitely happier in low light and tend to not open when over exposed. I have both of them in caves andboth are out mostof the time and very healthy. They are not difficult to feed, I simply feed them cyclopeeze every couple of days using a turkey baster so I can spray them cyclopeeze right on them.

billy ocean

I have two.
Red n orange and a yellow one.
I feed cyclopeze every other day, the same as my other corals. I have yet to spot feed. They seem to be doing good.

h2oengr

Hilarious that you posted this yesterday, Druluv!
I went on line today to figure out what the $5 "piece" I purchased from the LFS - and guess what!? Sun Coral. I got a chunk only about 6 polyps 2" in total diameter!
I guess I'll need to get some of that cyclopeeze stuff! :happy:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
:D I just got mine from this site. Been feeding it fresh chopped seafood. Took several days to get it to eat. It will open some after I start introducing fish food to the tank, but really they expand full force about 1/2-hr after lights out.

h2oengr

Holy crap! They'll look that awesome! Wow! They look great Beth! I can't get over how much more beautiful they are when open! Mine haven't opened yet, so I guess I better start feeding them. What exactly is it that you're feeding? Brand?

viper_930

Mine haven't opened yet, so I guess I better start feeding them.
How are you supposed to feed them if they aren't opened?

reb

What is cyclopeese and where do you buy it? What else should you feed cyclopeese to?

druluv

cytopleeze is frozen or freezed dried pods. Suppose to be better then brine shrimp. One company actually makes it with roiters.
Do a search on it many online fish stores carry them.