Sun Coral

jimmy g

I just purchased a orange sun coral from my LFS. I have always heard that they "like" to be under a ledge of somesort but i was wondering if direct light would harm them? I just got it last night so it hasnt opened up yet but once it does i plan on feeding it brine and mysis shrimp with the 20oz bottle or take it out if the water to feed it in a small tupperware container.
Is there anything else I need to know about these corals?

reefnut

I have always heard that they "like" to be under a ledge of somesort but i was wondering if direct light would harm them?
Generally no, direct light shouldn't bother it. Most sun corals only open at night but can learn to open during the day... or just when it get hungry.

laddy

I was just reading about them last night before I went to bed. I got the impression that they're more nocturnal than anything in the home aquarium, and maybe lights shouldn't be to main concern. I believe the main concern is feeding--they can be a bit stuborn. You may want to soak your food in vitamins before feeding time. Other than that good luck, they're are beautiful

tank1483

Jimmy G, let me know how they turn out, I was looking at one of those myself but wasnt sure if I should get it or not

jimmy g

They started to come out last night but just barely, I will post some pics of them when I get home from school. I found a great deal on them for $8 and I couldnt pass them up and I am excited to spot feed them everyday : )
Is Mysis a good food source for them, along with brine shrimp?

jam marine

generally its best to place them under a shelf,where no light can hit them,when open i usually feed mine with some meaty foods,because they are hidden from the light they stay open for most of the day,will try an post picture later:D

jjlittle

I have a sun coral its in med. light I feed it ZOplan twice a week and for a day or to after I feed my tank it opens more during the day.I first tried Phytoplex it didn't seem to like it but it loves the Zoplan it usaully opens right up when I feed it Zoplan.I have heard that sun coral only last like a year in a tank I have had mine for about 6 months I hop e the quotes I have heard dont apply to my sun. It is one of my favorite pieces.