Sun Coral

J

jrthomas40

nice....i had 1 one time but everything i tried didnt seem to work...i put a cup over it when i was feeding and squirted DT's under it still didnt work

crt81

They love Cyclop-Eez (sp?).
The ones I've had in the past opened up fully once I fed them this!
I no longer have sun polyps b/c they take up some much time with feeding them. I could never remember to target feed them.
Also another word of advice- I know some people put there's in full light w/o being shaded, but shading them is good. Too much light is not good for them.
Or at least this is with my experience with these corals!
Nice looking coral!

kaybee

Nice sun coral there! Seems healthy and well fed!
In regards to feeding, anything smaller than cyclopeeze probably wouldn't be beneficial for this coral, they seem to enjoy larger food items (mysis shrimp is a good choice).
Also, lighting shouldn't effect them one way or another.

hunted

here is one of mine a few minutes ago, this is about as much as I have seen him open, but I've only had it for a week and a half .

blazin2k6

yeah i've only had mine for about 2 weeks. I feed it brine and mysis shrimp, i know brine shrimp isnt that nutritious but they seem to love it and mine always open up whenever i feed my tank. I turn offthe ph and feed away. Once i feed 1 head it seems after a few minutes well maybe 30-40 minutes they are all open and wanting to be fed. And it can be time consuming but it seems ok with me. Well i am happy everyone liked the pics :) Also i dont really have a place to put him in the shade, But it seems to not mind being in the direct light neither. How will this effect it ? oH one more thing. In the 2nd photo can someone tell me what that is poking out at the bottom of the coral ? Is it a type of starfish or what ? That is as far as i can see it poking out. Also this rock or whatever it is on i guess some type of shell maybe moves sometimes.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
nice....i had 1 one time but everything i tried didnt seem to work...i put a cup over it when i was feeding and squirted DT's under it still didnt work
That is because it needs meaty foods to survive. EAch head needs to eat or it will starve. Mysis and cyclopeeze are the foods of choice.

J

jrthomas40

yeah i didnt know that at the time because it was a free frag...but i know i wont get another one....lol

hunted

I feed fresh water mysis to my tank, and when I feed mine will open a little as well. So at night when the lights go out I really mash up some mysis and blood worms together and target feed my cup, elegance, mushrooms, brain etc. and they seem to like it

paintballer768

Yea thats a starfish. When Im back on my computer Ill upload some pictures of mine. Ive had it for about a week and a half also and it doesnt open much more than Hunted's coral. I feed mine, or try to, at about 10 am to try to get it coming out during the day, and if I cant usually I do in the afternoon. So it will most likely start opening during the day eventually. Feed mine cyclops and brine.

blazin2k6

Do those starfish come out paintballer768 or do they just stay inside the cavity ? That is as far as i see it out. Well thanks for the comments guys. If any of you would like to post your pic of your sun Coral here you can as well. I wouldnt mind,

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Blazin2k6
Do those starfish come out paintballer768 or do they just stay inside the cavity ? That is as far as i see it out. Well thanks for the comments guys. If any of you would like to post your pic of your sun Coral here you can as well. I wouldnt mind,
Ive got quite a few tiny starfish like that in my tank. When food is introduced, I see little white legs sticking out but usually not much more than that. My shrimp molted the other day and I turned on the actinics in the morning and there was about 3 stars trying to eat it. Maybe about a half-dollar coin in diameter.
Pics! This is the 3-4th day of me having it. Almost no extension here, maybe like 3 times that now.

peef

Because suncoral are non-photosynthetic they do not benifit from light but they can be hurt by it. Long term exposure to direct high power lights will eventually cause it to bleach out. I wouldn't worry about your little brittle star being in the core of your coral, kind of interesting actually. Here is a pic of my sun from about 2 months ago, it is quite a bit larger now.

blazin2k6

Nice photo peef. I'll put up some more pics soon also. Mine is doing quite well i believe. All i have are pcs , not any high powered lights like yourself with your mh's. hehe. Wish i had some though. well thanks for the comments.

hunted

Nice shot peef, I agree with to much light will hurt them, but when do yours open like that during the day or at night, I was told they only open at night and thats when mine opens.

L

lbaskball

I dont think light will hurt them because they are non photosynthetic. What light will do is cause algae to grow on the rock..its the algae that kills these corals as well as not directly feeding them. If you feed them reguarly at a certain time, they can be trained to open up at that time. During the day it iwll be closed up if you dont feed them during the day.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Hunted
Nice shot peef, I agree with to much light will hurt them, but when do yours open like that during the day or at night, I was told they only open at night and thats when mine opens.
If you feed them daily at various times they will open during the day and night. Takes a bit of training for them to do that though.