Sun Coral

pufferfreak

I think these things look really cool. What are your guys' experineces with these. What do you know about them? Thanks.

m.rogers

here is a pic of my sun coral. i feed it every other day and you must feed it as the light is know help to this coral. it will most of the time come out after the lights go off. people say that they are a hard coral to have i do not think so you just have to feed it that is the hard part but we feed the tank every day.
mike

nm reef

I also keep this coral...and I agree that it requires regular direct feedings. Normally twice a week I will use a turkey baster to slowly apply a mixture of DT's phytoplankton and small pieces of mysis/brine. At first mine would open only early in the AM(long after lights out)...but for the past few months it has opened up any time I feed the system...some days it'll be partially open all day long. It is not a "difficult" coral to maintain...but it does need regular feedings. Mine also seems to prefer a sheltered spot away from direct lighting...and doesn't seem to like a lot of current.

fishman88

hey m.rogers i was wondering if you may frag me a peace of that or any ther bright corals that you may have i will pay u for them at the next meating
thanks
mike

m.rogers

fishman
when i get brave i will try to frag the sun coral but you are welcome to a frag of my candy coral here is a pic.shot me a email at CMAS or just pm me there
mike

sammystingray

I have just taken my hands and broken off frags that have done well in others tanks.....I personally can't keep up with feedings, and each polyp needs individual food......too much work for me, and I do poorly with these guys. They basically only come out at night, and at feeding time once they are used to the feedings. A long time ago I did pretty well with one, but I used to take it out every other day and place it in a bucket with tons of food for feedings.....that got old, and these guys are just too much effort for me personally. As stated, they contain NO zooxanthellae, and light has no effects on this coral aside from the negative of having to fight off any algae growth.....much better in a shaded area. Unless you are very dedicated to feeding this guy, then don't bother, otherwise they are one of the most beautiful corals around when healthy and extended. I fed mine brine.

melissa v.

I must just be very lucky, i do feed my whole tank twice a week, but i never have to personally feed my sun coral, and it is open all the time i never see it go in unless i stick my hand in the tank, then it will come back out in a few minutes after i remove my hand.
Melissa V.

michaeltx

Mine stays open most of the time I have a lot of food stuff in my water colum so it feeds constantly. it closes about 1 or 2 days a week the rest of the time is open all day and closed at night. I have had mine for a couple of months now and have never direct feed it. and it spreading at a good pace.
Here is a pic of mine its an awful pic but the best that I could take at the time. LOL
Mike

sammystingray

I am amazed that your guys sun corals stay open all day......anyone else? I have heard mostly about them staying open for limited periods during feeding, but never all day.....pretty interesting stuff. They won't starve in a couple months though......takes awhile. I have kept them over a year without feeding, but they eventually starve.......maybe I just suck at sun corals.:) BTW the pic isn't too bad.

michaeltx

LOL I think it is but hey I am my own worst critic ;-Þ
when I feed the tank it grabs small morsels of ood so its getting feed I just never target feed them. it has double in size since I got it.
the LFS here had some black sunpolyps but I was fast enough on getting them they were sold when I saw them. ;-(
Mike

poiboy

Mine stays closed till I put my hand in the water then it opens up. Pain in the arse to feed though but worth every bit.

leigh

mine stay open pretty much so long as the lights are totally off or only the actinics are on. i had this crazy dream last night though that i went to feed them and it was totally dark in my whole house and i looked in the tank and they had spread everywhere and i was using a turkey baster to feed them and they grabbed the turkey baster and were pulling it away from me. i was torn between being psyched that they were so huge and tough and just being really, really frightened :)

vizia2

hey im just geting started with a reef, but cant find any good coral any where. how can i get started, any sugestions

dinhouse

MIne also will stay open during the day. They open when ever I feed my tank. They will do this you just have to train them to. If you are interested do a search on it I had a thread about them sometime back. I think it was called "Coral in training"
Here is a pic of mine. It has since been stung by a ricordia and a good portion of it has died. Does anyone know if the dead portion will recover?