Sun Corals spawn?

shnabbles

I know Sun Corals spread from the main colony. But has anyone ever heard of Sun Corals spawning?
I have these very small yellow duts with polyps coming out of them.. The dots are about this big "o" and have yellow polyps....
Anyeone else ever heard of or experianced the same thing?

chilwil84

i think the latest issue of Coral Magazine has some pictures about them spawning i have not gotten a chance to read it yet though

hot883

Not to hyjack your thread Shnabbles, but I have a rare black sun coral and also a small orange that I cannot take care of. Anyone interested?

fishieness

Originally Posted by Shnabbles
I know Sun Corals spread from the main colony. But has anyone ever heard of Sun Corals spawning?
I have these very small yellow duts with polyps coming out of them.. The dots are about this big "o" and have yellow polyps....
Anyeone else ever heard of or experianced the same thing?
you sould have to have a lot of nutrients in your water to be able to feed them if they did spawn. im not entirely sure if they do as a method of reproduction. it may be like many stonie corals that grow and split, but also spawn.
but im posting to say you probably have a type of a tunicate.
i believe there is one that looks like a sun coral.
it is possible im thinking of osmething else, but i believe it is a tunicate.

viper_930

All corals can reproduce asexually by budding or binary fission and sexually by releasing gametes. It just doesn't happen nearly as much in captivity as it does in the wild.

rykna

I have read that when coral do spawn in the tank most of the offspring are either eaten or sucked up into the filtration system and never see again. So the spawing is very hard if ever to experience.

fishieness

Originally Posted by Rykna
I have read that when coral do spawn in the tank most of the offspring are either eaten or sucked up into the filtration system and never see again. So the spawing is very hard if ever to experience.
the other problem is that since they usualy use the same signals to tell when to spawn, they will all do it at once. and all the excess nutrients in your tank can actualy cause it to crash depending on the load.

rykna

Originally Posted by hot883
Not to hyjack your thread Shnabbles, but I have a rare black sun coral and also a small orange that I cannot take care of. Anyone interested?
I'd take them in a sec. Not sure if you're interested in shipping the little guys.

rykna

Originally Posted by hot883
Ohhhhhhh yeah!!!!! can you ship them to minnesota?????? would you like to trade?cash?