Sun Light

melbournefl

In a word, no. The problem with natural sunlight is that it promotes algea growth :eek: oh yeah, and also heat.
Good luck,
Paul

wamp

Actually it does not. It wil not help unles it is unfiltered sunlight however. Glass blocks certain wavelengths of light. Most of which that are blocked are the ones needed.

broomer5

In a completely pristine tank of saltwater - one that contains absolutely ZERO nutrients, no nitrates, no phosphates no life forms - the sunlight would be fine to see into the tank - but even then - I'm afraid algae would still begin to grow.
Just wouldn't grow very much or very fast.
In a tank full of life sitting in your home next to a window or under a skylight - not a good idea.
Even though the ocean is pounded with natural sunlight containing all wavelengths of visible and invisible electromagnetic radition - it's so freak'n huge, and for the most part is so nutrient poor - that it's not a problem.
Add some nutrients to the mix, as in runoff from the land, pollution or some lagoons - it becomes algae city.
Same in our tanks I'm afraid.
But ...... and there's always a but ......
Go visit the captive coral growing places, like the one 45 minutes north of me ............ and it makes what I just said sound absolutely foolish.
This place is a greenhouse - but has that wavy fiberglass sheeting/glazing on the roof.
Who'd a thunk it :p

krusk

sun light is good in term of save the electricity, intensity.
sun light is bad in term of heat and colorations.
Sunlight is a very great idea and many ppl are using it on their large tanks.
Well sunlight directly from the window is not so good as sunlight over the skylight. Skylight on top of the aquarium is prefered.
There are also 10000K window(yes, window or cover) that you can cover the bottom tube to make it look like 10000K light.
Your tank will have the nature light cycle including moon phases, dawn/dusk etc.
Most ppl (Reef Hardcores) prefered opened tank which is perfectly suitable for Skylight setup :)