Sun Polyps

gman08016

Originally Posted by Member007
Are they difficult to take care of?
Yeah they need lots of water
.Just kidding mine are pretty easy.

R

reefernana

Are you referring to sun coral or yellow polyps? Sun corals are not that hard but you do need to spot feed them and yellow polyps are extremely easy and grow like crazy. I feed my sun coral cyclopeze and frozen mysis. These like to be fed about an hour after lights are out when they extend their polyps. If you have shrimp or hermits you have to be careful though because they like to steal their food. Some people put the top part of a 2 liter bottle over them and feed with a turkey baster thru the pour hole. That way the food stays where they can grab it but the others can't. I usually feed the tank the cyclopeze first then turn off the lights after everyone else is through eating, by then the sun coral has started opening because of the cyclopeze. After it's fully open is when I baste it with the frozen mysis.

jonthefishguy

They are pretty easy to take care of just as long as you spot feed and give them current. By the way, I have a sun star polyp for sale if anyone is interested. 45 + shipping.

albfishin'

They are pretty easy to take care of if you have the time to give to them. Like the others stated above, they need to be spot fed since they do not produce their own food. I feed mine frozen mysis every other day and I use a turkey baster to feed them. As stated above also, my cleaner shrimp are very interested in the meal so I give them a little first, they take right from the baster, and once they are done I feed the coral with no probs. Once you make your purchase and get them acclimated, you need to try to feed them to "tempt" them to open their polyps. Mine took about 3-4 days trying every night. Slowly but surely the colony will all open. Mine will open every night just prior to the lights going off and I also feed about an hour after lights out. Good luck!

member007

Originally Posted by reefernana
Are you referring to sun coral or yellow polyps? Sun corals are not that hard but you do need to spot feed them and yellow polyps are extremely easy and grow like crazy. I feed my sun coral cyclopeze and frozen mysis. These like to be fed about an hour after lights are out when they extend their polyps. If you have shrimp or hermits you have to be careful though because they like to steal their food. Some people put the top part of a 2 liter bottle over them and feed with a turkey baster thru the pour hole. That way the food stays where they can grab it but the others can't. I usually feed the tank the cyclopeze first then turn off the lights after everyone else is through eating, by then the sun coral has started opening because of the cyclopeze. After it's fully open is when I baste it with the frozen mysis.
Sun coral... Thanks for everyone's feedback! So how often they have to be fed in order to survive? I don't want to have a coral that I have to feed 2-3 a day.

R

reefernana

I feed mine 1-2 times a week. Sometimes it doesn't act all that hungry and doesn't open up so I just wait until the next time. I feed my tank every other day, sometimes every third day if I fed it heavily the time before. Good luck! I think they are very beautiful. They like to be in a low light area, too. They hang in caves, in the dark in the ocean. Some people seem to have no problem though keeping them on the sand in the light. It took mine like 2 weeks after I got it before it opened up, too, so don't worry if it takes a while.

albfishin'

Mine eat every other night and I try to feed each head. They are found in caves, etc. in the wild, but if you place them in that type of area in your tank, they may be alittle hard to feed.
I have mine out in the open sand bed under no cover. I have PC's and they are doing great! Again, best of luck if you go with them!