Sunburn

fender

Anyone get a sunburn from their lighting?
I re-arranged the rock in my tank (I really need to stop doing this) and now have a sunburn on my right arm. Cooked it pretty good. I had my arm in the tank for maybe 1/2 hour off and on. I could feel the heat but never thought about what it was doing. I told my wife I should set up a tanning salon in the off hours to help pay for my habit....I mean hobby.

banshee

I wondered about this, also. I really never had my arm(s) under my new lighting (about 1 month old, halide and VHO) for extended periods of time. But my old 400 watts of PC lighting never really cooked me. :)

fender

It was red and sore the next day and I couldn't figure out why (we haven't seen the sun in Michigan in a couple weeks) so it's the only thing I can come up with. I was about 4-6 inches from 400watts of MH and it's almost at the point of blistering. Now that I think about it I may have had my arm in there for a maybe a little longer than that..... I think it's my tanks way of saying STAY OUT.....

hirock

Any cuts on the arm or hands? Some toxins secreted by corals can create inflammation. You'll know if the area infected is red, joints ache, muscles become sore... If this doesn't apply, welcome to the world of UV radiation/erythema.
Suggested cures for sunburns/erythema:
Remedies for first or second degree sunburns:
make a large pot of strong tea and let it cool. Soak cotton in the tea and apply to the affected areas. Leave on for up to 30 minutes.
dissolve 1 lb. of baking soda into a tub of cool water. Soak in the tub for 30 minutes.
massage aloe vera juice on the sunburned area. Reapply every hour. Aloe vera will also help moisturize and relieve the skin dryness. Use pure products without mineral oil, paraffin waxes, alcohol, or coloring.
Another remedy for first and second degree sunburn: Boil 2 to 2 1/2 lb. chopped horse chestnuts in water. Add the decoction to bath water for sunburn.
HTH & GL

fender

Thx.
No cuts. Definitely sun....er...lightburn.
I'll probably what I do during the summer...nothing...:D

cprdnick

Well look on the bright (he he) side. We try to recreate sunlight as much as possible, if you got a sun burn then you are probably well on your way to having sunlight.