sundial snail erradication help

isistius

i've had my tanks going for almost 3yrs. approximately a year ago, i downsized into my current set up. i have not adden anything to my tank in probably 6 months. i dip everything i put in my tank in a seachem iodine dip. within the last several weeks, i have noticed a sharp decline in several of my zoanthid colonies. the other night i turned on my lights only to notice a fair number to snails (15+) on these colonies. i had removed 1 sundial maybe 2+ yrs ago from my old set up. what do i do and how do i do it? i need to get rid of them before they devour what's left.
please help....

saltn00b

it could be worse, you could have your hand in the tank pulling out some unknown macro algae every night! i know you are scared of your clown biting you but time to get wet.
maybe wait until lights out and come back an hour later with a red lensed flash light.

mscarpena

There has to be some sort of fish that eats them. I would think some sort of wrasse would eat them. Hunt around for a reef safe fish that eats snails. Of course you will lose all your other snails, but has to be cheaper than all your zoo's. Of course you couls just pluck them out which is what I would do. Good luck.

isistius

there are so many of them, and i don't have any other snails...sooooooo.......a wrasse might be a possility. but idk of any fish that eats them.

mscarpena

I would hunt around on the doctors site and look through the vast numbers of wrasses that they have. I have found there descriptions of what fish do eat, don't eat, and their behavior is right on the money. Also I hate to even suggest this, but I hear they are easy to trap and remove what do you and others think about adding a mantis shrimp?? I do not know much about mantis shrimp or your other tank inhabitants, but I know they eat snails. They will also eat shrimp and small fish from what I am told, but it's another thought. Keep us posted and good luck. You must be devistated.

petieaztec

about an hour after your lights go off look for them.... you will see the majority of them. Do it once a week and you will get those guys. they will be on your glass or by the zoos. that is how I did it and now my zoos are doing really, really good. Check for those annoying mini stars too. Good Luck!

isistius

i looked in the tank last night and there's a total infestation. i'd say 50+ i guess it's time to start plucking them off with tweezers.....

6mmmedic

Originally Posted by petieaztec
http:///forum/post/2884910
about an hour after your lights go off look for them.... you will see the majority of them. Do it once a week and you will get those guys. they will be on your glass or by the zoos. that is how I did it and now my zoos are doing really, really good. Check for those annoying mini stars too. Good Luck!

What exactly are these "mini stars" you are referring too? I have a few very small stars that were hitchhikers on some LR...they look to be small brittles. Could they damage zoos?