Sunlight and UV blockers

bambam_250r

Since I've recently wanted to upgrade my tank to a bigger one I got to thinking about where to put it. If I get a 46 bow front it would be in a corner of my house. But, I want a 55. I can only put it where sunlight hits.
Here's the question. Can I put that UV blocker stuff you get from Home Depot on my windows to stop algae growth? Is that what really feeds the algae? The UV? You know the stuff, it's a clear film that you stick on your window. Kind of like window tinting. geesh, this hobby is so addicting.

frankthetank

Are your windows covered with blinds or good curtains?
I ask because I have a 46g in my living room which has a loft. I have 7 windows and a door in that area. But I turn the blinds upwards so that light doesn't shine down through. Sure it's still a brighter room, but it doesn't affect my tank in a bad way.

bambam_250r

I have Vertical blinds on my window. It's a huge window. I know just light in the room won't affect a tank but this spot gets DIRECT sunlight hitting it. Even with good blinds there would still be a few small beams of light getting through and I don't want to put up curtains. This spot could go up to a 75 gallon tank though. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.