Sunlight?

tmcelveen

What exactly are the effects of direct sunlight on a tank? I have two very large windows in my tank room and was wondering exactly what effect it's having on my tank. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for blocking the light that won't upset my better half?
Thanks

nm reef

Direct sunlight can contribute to over heating and algae blooms. I'd try to keep direct sunlight to a minimum if at all possible.

fishy7

I can share this: I had direct sunlight on my tank and did not know this for about a month. :mad: One morning I was sitting at the breakfast table and noticited the issue.
I had a large outbreak of green hair algae on 50% of my rocks and had no clue.
Well, 4 months later & 100 additional hermits the problem is starting to go away. The natural sunlight can be a big headache, well for me it was.
Keeping the sun out: The quick fix, :thinking: I went to HD and bought one of those paper shades and cut it to the size of the doors glass and no more sunlight.

The perm fix: We are having 0 light cellular shades made to cover the french door.

Good luck.

alyssia

I had direct sunlight on a FW tank and it had horrible algae all the time. I couldn't get rid of it until I moved the tank.

jmick

My tank is on the West side of my house by a large sliding glass door and I get 2 hours of sunlight on my tank every day. I do not have an issue with algae, as long as you keep your nutrients under control algae will not be an issue. If you have excessive nutrients, you will have algae problems (light is not the source of algae, it’s a catalyst).

tmcelveen

Yeah, I've been having problems with algae blooms, and water quality in general. I've been doing very frequent water changes, and thought I'd try blocking the windows to see if that helped with the algae. Haven't had much of a heat issue, as the tank is in a well cooled area. I'm not sure how the little lady will like the trash bags duct taped over the windows, though!!!!

tmcelveen

Originally Posted by Jmick
I do not have an issue with algae, as long as you keep your nutrients under control algae will not be an issue. If you have excessive nutrients, you will have algae problems (light is not the source of algae, it’s a catalyst).
Nutrients, such as?

tmcelveen

'trates are fine. Phosphates should be fine. I haven't gotten a test for it yet, but I've strictly been using RO/DI water.

jacklax

What kind of salt do you use? Sometimes salt mixes contain some extra "stuff" that helps the algae.
Also...how old are your light bulbs...that can be a cause as well.
My tank is next to a window...it gets some sunlight everyday. No algae problems here.

tmcelveen

Was using IO, but I just tried a batch of Oceanic. Don't think I'll use the Oceanic again (calcium level's too high for me). All bulbs are fairly new with the exception of two 65w pc's that probably need replacing. What can the bulbs contribute to the problem?

jacklax

As bulbs get older they start deteriorating...thus lowering the frequency of light that they produce. In some cases this is advantageous to algae resulting in a bloom.

jacklax

Oh yeah...I use oceanic as well...I can't complain. They advertise that there salt is free of any algae encouraging substances.

tmcelveen

Yeah, I just can't deal with the high calcium levels right now. I only have a few frags, so my calcium usage is real low and every time I test a batch of oceanic, its right at 500 calcium.

wesa

To help with blocking some of the light you can use shade cloth. I agree with keeping the nutrients down, but to help block some of the heat, you can make or have made a screen or shade to fit the windows & as long as your other half is included as to how they should be made or look you will find it will make a difference. I've seen too kinds of shade cloth, bone color & black. Black to me is unacceptable in my house. Don't mind it outside but on or in the house the bone color works best. I had to make screens for the skylights in my family room. Works pretty good & looks nice.

unleashed

i used to keep my reef right next to a window my anenome accually moved to be closer to natural sunlight .normal green algae on the glaas is not bad for your tank its accualy quite beneficial to your water quality.although not always pleasent to look at some of the healthiest tanks are covered with green algae(glass that is) this algae reduces nitrates in the water by feeding on it.this is part natures filter system.its also a sourse of foods for some fish.I clean only the veiwing areas of the tank leave the rest to grow naturally.

wesa

I found the bone colored shade cloth at a gardening store. Home Depot & Lowes only seem to carry the black. I'd call around & see what's available in your area.

scooterble

i must be really slow because every one says that sun light is bad yet we keep buying bigger lights like mh to get closer to intense sun light if we pay all this money to get bigger lights more intense lights just like the sun then why is the sun bad for your tank