SUNPOD lighting system

kendall

I'm posting this for those debating lighting for their nanos...
I put a 20 inch 150HQI on a 16 gallon bow front and it couldn't fit any smoother...What an amazing lighting system...I can't speak highly enough about how this light fits...The 2 inches is perfect to allow good air flow underneath. The mounting legs don't even need 8 inches worth of tank rim...The bulbs are amazing...Everything just fits so smoothly...I'm done with Coralife...There are so many moonlights you can great views into the tank when the halide is off which is great because then you can run the halide(less heat) and still get 24 hours of viewing pleasure
If you want an amazing lighting system for your nano get this light...I was just so blown away when I put this on tonight that I had to post about it...This is the best bang for the buck I've seen in equipment for fish tanks....I really can't wait to get the 10 gallon inhabitants migrated in!!!

alohami

Originally Posted by kendall
I'm posting this for those debating lighting for their nanos...
I put a 20 inch 150HQI on a 16 gallon bow front and it couldn't fit any smoother...What an amazing lighting system...I can't speak highly enough about how this light fits...The 2 inches is perfect to allow good air flow underneath. The mounting legs don't even need 8 inches worth of tank rim...The bulbs are amazing...Everything just fits so smoothly...I'm done with Coralife...There are so many moonlights you can great views into the tank when the halide is off which is great because then you can run the halide(less heat) and still get 24 hours of viewing pleasure
If you want an amazing lighting system for your nano get this light...I was just so blown away when I put this on tonight that I had to post about it...This is the best bang for the buck I've seen in equipment for fish tanks....I really can't wait to get the 10 gallon inhabitants migrated in!!!
I couldn't agree more!!!

I have a 16 gal. bow front as well and the Sunpod is amazing! This is my second Orbit fixture, and I have been very pleased with both of them. They offer the best lighting solutions for nano's IMO.

sagxman

I have one on a 20L and love it as well. My only minute criticism is the fact that the one MH in the center doesn't quite spread the light to the top corners of my tank. But other than that, it's great! It was a nice upgrade from my PCs.

alohami

I got mine from my favorite auction site.
I have the 150w Sunpod and it was around $275.00 if I remember correctly. I picked it up right after they came out, so they could be cheaper now.

alohami

Oh, I forgot about that! Mine did come with the hardware for hanging, but I didn't use it.
However, if you were going to hang it, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to just go with a pendant fixture? Of course then you wouldn't have the moonlights, but you could DIY a couple of those for a little bit of nothing.
Also, I think the moonlights on the Sunpod would be too bright for a Nano 6. On the fixture I have there are 6 white and 6 blue leds, and when I have them both on at the same time the tank is too bright, even for my 16 gal. The white led's are really bright, so if I leave anything on at night it's usually just the blue.
Not trying to talk you out of it because I love the Sunpod's, but just a few things to think about. :thinking:

kendall

Christs-increase your volume to 10 gallons and you could pull it off on a 20 inch long tank...You can hang it, but 6gallons would heat up quick...They do make a 70HQI unit that is 20 inches long also...That would be more practical for a 6 gallon if you try to hang...They are $240 I believe...

larryndana

Originally Posted by DarthSimon
Could I upgrade my stock Aquapod to this Sunpod? and where do I get it??
Thx,
Steve
Yes, same company that makes the Aquapod makes the Sunpod.
This site sells them with the tank, you'd have to search online for just the light(can't really give websites that sell anything on this board).

demartini

Originally Posted by AlohaMI
The smallest Sunpod available is 20" wide, so I doubt that it work on a Nano 6. Sorry!
Actually they have a 16.5 inch 70w fixture, It would fit on the nano 6 but it will hang over a little bit.

gharner

which system would work better for a 12 gallon aquapod? the 150 watts or 7o watts? i really want a clam....and some other cool corals/inverts.