Super Blue Hoeki Acro is getting white tip

cam78

I'm new to Acro's and added one to my tank about 1 month ago, maybe little less. I placed it up high in the tank under new LED lighting. I have the AquaIllumination SOL Blues. I'm currently running the lights at 54% White 55% Blue and 55% royal blue. My levels are all in check. Calcium 400 ish, PH 8.4, Phos 0. Is my lighting running strong enough? The Acro is in high flow area. I just noticed this white spot today and Im sure it wasn't there recently. Is there anything I can do? Is it gonna die? I know the pic suck but maybe can give you an idea. Can you see the white tip on the left side?

slice

I'll be following along since I wish to be "new to acros" fairly soon. From what I've read, unless you have something different going on, white tips could be growth.
Has the existing tip lost its color, or is that branch a tad longer now, the new part being white?

meowzer

OH YAY....thanks Henry, I have a green velvet acro that looks like that on the tip, and I was just thinking yesterday DARN there goes another one :(
but thanks to you AGAIN......I now know it is good yippee

cam78

So what are you saying? This is new growth? Definitely does not look like it. Looks like the flesh is disappearing.

cam78

I posted a better picture I think. Its the top left portion. I really hope its not dying for a few reasons. It was NOT cheap, I really wanna keep more Acros, and I really will be perplexed as what I would need to do to keep acros. My tank water is prestine, levels are great, and everything is really thriving!

cam78

Really? That red planet is new growth? Whoa, totally looks like a dead portion. last checked my DKh was around 8 I think. cal was around 420. I don't think this is new growth though because I think I saw a little flesh flapping off. Trust me I hope so!!

nikesb

so it rtn'd on you? were you a fish only tank before?
how did you end up adjusting your dkh?

nikesb

what was ur intitial alk and whatd u adjust it to? and in what time period did you make the change. alk swings can be very dangerous