Super Reef Octo users.... NEED HELP ASAP

rcdude1990

hey guys i just got in the mail my sump so now im doing a little test drive before i place everything under the tank.
i have the super reef octo 3000 internal skimmer and a trigger systems36 sump ruby
thank god the skimmer fits and i got it running, my question is
the instructions say place it in 9" of water, but at that level of water the gate valve is about 3/4 submerged, i raised it with egg crate so that the gate valve is not submerged. from the outside of the sump i placed a ruler... the water level from the bottom of the sump to were the water is is 9.5inches... i placed 4 pieces of 1/4" egg crate under the skimmer so that means the skimmer is off the floor 1 inch. from the bottom of the skimmer to the water level is 8.5. so far so good? the gate valve like i said is a little tiny bit submerged
secondly, im going crazy on adjusting the gate valve. i powered the skimmer on and the bubbles i guess raised the water so much it was just going right into the skim cup. i quickly unplugged it and turned the gate valve all the way off.
so i restarted it and the level was about 2" shorter than the neck of the skimmer. i should be aiming for were the neck is right? meaning no water should be higher than the piece of take off to wash the cup right?
so right now i have the skimmer at that level, but the bubbles are not rising up, they just stay at the neck. usually big bubbles get pushed up and take gunk out, but mines not doing it.
can it be because im using fresh brand new saltwater with LR i bought ?ill try taking pics of it really quick
skimmer water level when skimmer is on (9.5inches)

water vs bubble level in skimmer

when i take the cup off this is where the water vs bubble level is, at the neck

water level when the skimmer is not on (a little over 9.5 inches)

gate valve under a little bit of water

is it placed already and set up correctly??
the picture that shows the bubble vs water level pic was taken after about 9 hours of the skimmer on.
is there just nothing to skim because its fresh mixed new salt water that was sitting in a bucket with the LR for about 3 days?

snakeblitz33

Not enough organics to skim out. Plus, octopus skimmers take a week or so to break in.
9.5" is not going to drastically effect the skimmer.