Super Skimmer Or Kent?

chipmaker

Originally Posted by Rainmaker6
CSS is definatly way to go, but expect a wet floor or 2 while it breaks in.
Thats about as absurd of a statement As I ever heard. I have 6 in use right now and broke em all in from new and have yet to have a drop of water on my floor. Just keep the foamy bubble level low and follow all instructions as stated in the directions for setup and you will not not get water on the floor.

cgrant

coralife skimmers are good skimmers for the money, sure they make better ones but you will also pay 500+ for a good one.
i have the ss220 and i think i paid ~160 for it off bigals.
only time my skimmer has overflowed is when the water gets a little low in the sump from evaporation and the skimmer pump starts to suck a little air, that seems to give the needle wheel pump a good kick and can easily overflow the skimmer. thats what i have seen with it anyway.
if you have the cash for a euroreef (etss) than i would go with that, if not coralife should work fine.
edit: the only known issue i know of with coralife is the red adjustment knob can start to leak, but if you pull up on it will expose the o-ring that you can put a dab of petrolium jelly on and that will stop it from leaking.
johnson and johnson makes some petroleum jelly that is petrolium free, for a lack of better words!

X

xoxox

Originally Posted by sign guy
will a css220 be enough for a 180 reef + 75 sump?
If you don't have a large bioload.
I have a 180 reef and 55 sump and use an EV240 with a Pan World 100px and it rocks.
They (css220) look like they might be good for smaller systems but lets face it, companies overate their skimmer abilities. Your gonna need a powerful skimmer for that large system, many good skimmers listed on this thread.

gen1dustin

Originally Posted by sign guy
will a css220 be enough for a 180 reef + 75 sump?
I kind of think it is small for that. The companies do over rate them. That is one thing I like about Euro-Reef, they give the true rating. For instance teh RS80 is rated for 200 comparative gallons, but only 80 realistic gallons & they say that. For a tank that big I would probally try something other than the Coralife, but that is just me. Though I do realize that the prices on these skimmers are so high.