Supermarket food for tank?

125intx

Can I feed my fish shrimp and other saltwater goodies from the supermaket to my fish and inverts? Is this such a good idea? I buy frozen silversides, krill and brine shrimp now. would it be a good idea to give them a verity?
Thanks
Chris

overanalyzer

heck yes!! just try to rinse stuff. I just bought 2 shrimp for hte grocery store - meat counter guy was like - hey last of hte big spenders ....
I feed my corals with tiny hunks of it. I rinse them really well then freeze them then feed small hunks to my blasto, candy canes, bubbles and hairy shrooms....

ophiura

FWIW, reputable public aquaria and zoos can only feed seafood fit for human consumption. I work in an aquarium with a big restaurant, and we often buy seafood from the same suppliers as the restaurant...just getting offcuts instead. So, it is not a bad idea at all, and probably will save money!

garycarr

When you guys use frozen food such as mysis shrimp or blood worms do you thaw it out before you feed or just drop the cube into the tank?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by SquishyFish
I put one or two cubes into a small plastic bowl, a drop of vit c and garlic for each cube, then sit it on top of my halide's. The heat helps it thaw faster. After 20 min or so, I feed the fish w/ a turkey baister.
Squishy

Ditto - I use a shot glass and just use a fraction of a cube (for my nano).....

125intx

I guess using frozen shrimp and such would be ok as well?
O'yea, why don't I see my or anyones signature?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by 125inTX
O'yea, why don't I see my or anyones signature?

Space saving takes up too much space and server space is costly....

touchdown34

Costco usually has a seafood roadshow every once in awhile. Get in good with the meat-cutters.. They can really hook you up...
Tim

ophiura

I don't see any reason why frozen seafood, assuming it is not breaded and fried or otherwise processed ;) , would NOT be OK to use. Frozen is fine, just avoid freezer burned stuff. Basically, use the logic of "if you wouldn't eat it (because of quality or freshness) don't feed it to the fish." Frozen, IMO, is fine, and I use it daily.

I hold a chunk of my frozen food in front of a power head to melt it faster. Every fish in the tank rushes over to eat it out of my hand. The shrimp too! Kinda cool.
Also, a word of advice. When blending your seafood together make sure to strain the resulting goo to get rid of all the liquid. It is laden with phosphates.
Or better yet, I've been buying my seafood for the tank at a health store that advertises that it's seafood is NOT preserved with phosphate. A little more expensive but probably worth the cost by not introducing unwanted phosphate into the tank.

wrassecal

I buy a bag of frozen chopped squid, mussels, shrimp etc. at the Wal Mart fish counter and use that. I just pull out a piece chop it, come really fine and some a little larger for the anenome soak in zoe and feed. Been using it for close to two years with no problems and everyone loves it.

and that stuff from walmart is only like $2 for about 1/2#, very good deal, we did it, put it in blender with garlic, zoe, brine, mysis and some tube worms and flake, fish go nuts for it and shrimp love it.