Supplemental Feeding For Lawnmower Blenny?

pufferman

I recently obtained a healthy, 5-in long lawnmower blenny. I must say it's got quite a personality. I know they feed mostly on microalgae, and fortunately his tank has lots of live rocks to forage. I haven't actually tried to feed my lawnmower, and live rocks have been the sole source of his nutrition so far. The thing is every time I look at him, he's getting fatter. Now his belly looks like it's going to explode in any minute. It's not like from a bacterial infection, but more like he's just had a huge meal or two. He's perfectly healthy. I have no clue where he gets all the food, though. Even if he grazes on live rocks 24/7, it's going to take LOTS of algae to fill his stomach like that. Hmmm...anyway...my question is "Should I give him some sort of supplemental feeding besides vitamin supplement (i.e algae sheet...etc) or just let the live rocks support him?

J

jacob_poly

I dont feed my blenny anything extra...and he still does well....he finds his own food....especially if theres live rock theres nothing to worry about....in fact mine just ignores the algae sheets I leave for my Tang....

T

tizzo

Yeah, mine never went near the algae sheets either. After about a month, he finally started eating the frozen Formula 2 pieces. He would take one up, suck on it then spit it out. If he's fat, let him go... no, no not "let him go" but rather leave him be.:D

acez28

yeah mine finds its own food too. I never seen him eat any brine but he is always biting the glass on the tank. He grew the most and the fastest out of all my fish. I will be glad when i get my cam...

cmpowell

Not trying to steal your thread pufferman but my lmb i've had for 2mths is now looking very thin but as mentioned i see him biting the glass and scraping the live rock but it doesn't appear to me that he getting enough.Any suggestions? i'm starting to get worried.His behavior is as it has been since i introduced him.bounces around the tank from rock to rock scrape a little then sit then moves on.Any thoughts? :help:

pufferman

Thanks for the help. I finally figured out where my lawnmower gets all the extra food. He's been secretly feeding on all the leftover shrimp pieces on the substrate (not to mention all the algae), and I caught him doing it! :) Question: Since lawnmower is supposed to be a strict herbivore, is this going to cause some kind of intestinal blockage in the long term? I know this kind of thing happens to Mbunas.

firedad720

my lmb eats anything i feed the other fish. very fat!!! i asked the same ? and was told it would not hurt for him to eat other foods
rick