Supplemental invertebrate food

smith6ar

Is there anything I could feed a hermit crab or a cleaner shrimp if I'm afraid they aren't getting enough food? Would they eat sinking pellets?

seasalt101

why do you think they are not getting enough food, how big is your tank, what fish do you have, and how often do you feed?

smith6ar

I have a 48 gallon tank with one clown and one damsel (which I'm desperately trying to catch so I can remove it and get some less aggressive, but cooler looking fish)
I had a single hermit die on me (admittedly after two weeks with a broken light, which also made all my algae look really wierd) and I'm planning on getting an invert package soon, and I don't want them to die. I have modest algae coverage (not all LR, only 3 pieces, about 10 lbs of LR and the rest dead with algae starting to grow like crazy)
My cleaner shrimp also went crazy grabbing a couple pieces of food that fell close to it, and I've never seen him eat flake before (or eat anything, really)
I feed 3 times daily, and try not to overfeed.
would hermit crabs/cleaner shrimp/brittle stars eat sinking pellets?

hatessushi

They will eat any leftover food they can find. Feeding 3 times a day is a lot unlerss you feed very small amounts. Fish don't need to eat as often as people. They go for day without eating. Once a day or once every 2 days is fine.