Supposed Mystery Animal in Maryland

polarpooch

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...68&dppid=68757
Mystery Animal story from Maryland.
I think it's a hyena. And I think it is sick with mange. Was I overreacting when I emailed the news department at WBAL about it? Probably. But I hope they catch this thing in case it really is as sick as it looks.
Anyway, check out the video to see the Mystery Animal that surely is a discareded pet hyena from Baltimore County. It's a pretty cool story.

innsmouth

There you are Fluffy!!! Damn hyena won't stay in the friggin yard!
Looks like a juvinile hyena to me as well. Hope he comes over to my house for a visit. I love these guys.

shels

It looks like a Hyena to me, at least it is not aggresive. Just sort of hanging out in the neighborhood.:D

moto757

dang i didn't think anyone else out of md saw that but that is cool looks like something you would see around my work

shoman89

I doubt it is a dog/hyena hybrid. They can't cross with anything due to them being their own family. They say that they are more closely related to cats than dogs, but still far from a cat. I watched the video and at times the animal looks like a hyena, but the back legs don't look short enough. Maybe a coyote/dog hybrid or just a sick dog. Hard to tell.
JeffP

polarpooch

I just spent 20 minutes debating this with my vet. He looked at the video and thinks it's a Red Wolf with mange. I bet him it would turn out to be a hyena! I can't believe I actually bet my vet...a vet who works at a zoo and takes care of exotics. It would so cool if I turned out to be right!!

moto757

they caught the baby but the mom is still lose they determined it is a red fox with mange i just saw it on the news last night just thought everyone would like to know

yellowtail

Originally posted by moto757
they caught the baby but the mom is still lose they determined it is a red fox with mange ....

hey polar pooch.........you lost your bet with an animal expert.
just kidding:D

mary

That mystery animal is a very sick dog, of what breed it is probably a mixed breed. Someone probably left it off to roam and starve, perhaps did not have the money to care for its skin disease, and did the cowardly ,irresponsible, unkind, inhumane
deed of droppping it off far away from its home and family. It also could have simply run off and having been on its own contracted a terrible disease. Hope someone catches it soon and either treats it or puts it out of its misery, humanely! It is a dog.

mary

A fox has a tiny snout, very narrow and with a wider forhead. I won't beleive that one until I see the report. It is no fox. If the photo was doctored to appear to look as others saw itto resemble a hyene. It is a dog, I don't care what anyone says. I grew up living in the wooded areas of Pa. amd saw many skeleletons , many of fox, deer, even our own horses. That had to have been a doctored pic to make it look like an unknown animal. If anyone can send me the article I will get to the bottom of this. Eyes can't be fooled.

moto757

they said it was a red fox on the news here local and the one they caught was a baby the mother was still loose they took the baby to the vet to treat it

mary

Oh I am so glad they are treating the baby. Well, I still say that is the largest snout for a fox I have ever seen. Must have been something wrong with the photo. Hope they treat the mother humanely and free them when they are well. Thanks for updating us.