Suprise at my LFS

starskimac

Just wanted to tell the folks about seeing a baracuda, yes you heard right a
4 inch baracuda at the LFS.
Never heard of them in the aquarium before......

elvictre

This is second time I have heard that. I know you can buy them online, never seen one in a LFS. They require a really large tank. Hell my pool is 45,000gl maybe I should get one....lol

ophiura

Its tragic to see them in stores. They are doomed. They can have problems even in 40,000+ g as I have worked with one in that size system. Even that seemed too small, and he bashed his nose/mouth into the glass a few too many times.

nytrillium

Talk about an agressive tank..... jeez :hilarious Any fish wouldnt last 10 seconds with a cuda.... Poor fish though, it is sad that they are sold as "proper" aquarium inhabitants. Since they grow quite large in the ocean....

T

the_fish

large is an understatement these fish get huge, we saw a 10 footer in the gbr

lion_crazz

The only place where I have seen these guys do well in captivity is Atlantis Resort and Hotel in the Caribbean and that was in their 3 million gallon lagoon. They have 15 of them down there. It really is a shame to see them collected for aquariums, even for people and aquariums that are thousands of gallons.

agent707

Originally Posted by the_fish
large is an understatement these fish get huge, we saw a 10 footer in the gbr
Although they do get quite large, they do not reach lenghths of 10 feet. The water may have made it look really big. but 10 feet is larger than most SHARKS get.. Most.

T

the_fish

Originally Posted by Agent707
Although they do get quite large, they do not reach lenghths of 10 feet. The water may have made it look really big. but 10 feet is larger than most SHARKS get.. Most.
well iam not going to get into an arguement about it but this fish was easily 10 feet in length, and i have been hooked on to a black fin tuna and have about an 8 footer hook right onto the tuna, down in the keys.

nytrillium

Regardless, they get too big and are way too agressive for a home aquarium...
They would make snacks of anything else in the tank... and be looking for more.

agent707

You're right. You're not going to get into an argument about it... because you are simple incorrect. Barracuda's do not get 10 feet long. No where near that.
World's record on hook andline is 5.5 feet long. Maximum length is reported to just over 6 feet. If there were 8 and 10 footers out there (which you've claimed to have seen both), I think it would have been reported by others as well. read here
Anyway, the point isn't to argue about it. The point is fish "seem" a lot bigger than they really are. Just like the ole fishing tales... I swear! It was <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THIS BIG>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!
I saw a 400lb grouper once while diving!! turned out to be about a 150 pounder after an local expert looked at the pictures we had of it.

Really is sad to hear about a LFS having one held captive though.
I have a unique story about a barracuda. The absolute very first time I went salt water fishing... my VERY FIRST Cast.... I caught a 3lb barracude! What a fish! My first impression was "WOW! Where have I been! Why havn't I been fishing salt water my whole life!" ...didn't catch nothing the rest of the day. LOL. It's the honest truth.

T

the_fish

wow hold up, you know how many record breakers are out there, i know what i saw and i reported it to fish and game end of story, they even wrote an article about in the ausies papers. no body knows what the biggest barracuda is.l

mystic7

Originally Posted by oreo12
man they are an ugly fish anyway why would you want one?
Probably Goths and pseudo-Vampires ;)

coachklm

got one in our LFS it's only 8" or 9" but yeah there ugly......funny that hese in the same tank as an emporor angel, and a frogfish, a large eel, a grouper, and couple other strangy fish oh there is a yellow tang in there too. i'll try and get a pictures of it today when i go.

agent707

Here... there's an idea. I've heard a lot of folk asking how to get that pesky Damsel out of there tank. Drop a cuda in it.