suprising!

swingsett

so i have two clowns in a 55, and they are paired. i had my hand in there earlier, moving some rock around. when i came cloes to the rock they have been hosting for the past few months, one of them started to attack my hand. the other just stayed close and watched, but only one was furious as hell to attack my fingers.
it was crazy, here is this inch long clown, being frantic nipping at me. i thought this was crazy, so i took it a little further. i was trying to ignore him, but then i started following him around the tank with my hand, and he kept running and doubling back to nip at me. its amazing, i expected these fish to jide and not show for a few hours from being scared of my hand. this guy downright charged, and never gave up until i took my hand out. talk about defending your home!
anyone with similar stories?

perfectdark

yep... they are extremely territorial and its not uncommon at all for the more bolder ones to defend their home against much larger unwanted guests.

sputz

My female tomato clown attacks me everytime I stick my hand in and will follow me around the entire tank and bite at me. I think its cute; only if she knew I could crush her!!!

swingsett

is it safe to say the one that was attacking me is the female? the other was sitting back watching. and if one of them turned female, they still havent grown for beanz.

sputz

Originally Posted by swingsett
http:///forum/post/2785405
is it safe to say the one that was attacking me is the female? the other was sitting back watching. and if one of them turned female, they still havent grown for beanz.
I'm guessing mine is the female. From reading when the one becomes dominant and changes color and size in my tomatos then its a female. I call it a she, and I feel comfortable doing so. Shes tough and mean I had to move my watchman goby into the hospital tank cause I found her one day holding the gobies tail and swinging him around the tank.