Sureflow Maxi Jet Mod

Originally Posted by walkerbrody
I have 2 sureflows in my 110 and want another. They work great. I use these magnets siliconed to the mount that comes with the mod. Never had a problem with anything
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_i...a7434e2f20b0fa

Are those magnets encased in anything? Could they possibly rust? I bought the sure grip magnet system and it was $30 I'm looking to add another MJ Mod and this would save me money.

fatboyjoe

I've seen magnets online with epoxy and rubber coatings. I'm going to use the epoxy ones and also dip them in that plastic dip stuff for tool handles at h.d.. that should keep the rust out. the magnets will be my second option. I use acrylic to make powerhead holders. I'll bend some up and see how that works first.

A

allenk

I have used the mods with an MJ1200 in a 55 gallon tank. I initially installed two powerheads with the mods. I found the current was far too powerful. All but the most hardy fish may have a hard time dealing with that amount of current. I was using the small propellor. I can't imagine what it would have done with the large. Also, I found that I had to move things around. I have a lot of mushrooms and Zoos. Also, I have a neon tree coral. They were getting beat around by the current. I tried changing one of the powerheads to an MJ400. I still felt that the remaining 1200 was just too much. Now I have to MJ400s and seem to have plenty of water movement without stressing the fish and corals.
I have a third MJ400 with the mod, but decided there just was no need to install it. When I go for a bigger tank, I will use it.
In short, I think there is such a thing as too much flow.
I use the algae free magnetic mounting kit that is designed for MJ's.

bostondevin

I just bought two of these guys and put them on a wavemaker (with the 1200 GPH adapters). One is silent, the other makes a nasty rattling noise - so i'm getting 5 minutes or rattling and 5 minutes of silence, rinse and repeat. I tried switching the impellers and the same one still makes noise so it's clearly the unit. I'm going to return it and get a replacement and hope it's not a dud as well. Besides all this, they great flow for my new 120 gallon reef. They kick up a lot of debris at first - mixing everything up, but the filter seems to get it all out and now my sand and rock is nice and clean now and the fish seem happy to be content being sloshed back and forth - that's how it is in the wild!

bmkj02

I am using one in my 24g aquapod and my fish and coral love it. I first used a MJ 1200 but that was way too much. I believe if you use the MJ 1200 it is rated at 2100gph. I switched it to a MJ 600 with the mod and that was the max I can do in such a small tank. They arent noisey and my tank is doing so much better with this mod. I have 2 of them on my MJ1200 in my 125g tank and I am thinking of getting more. They are good mod and a lot cheaper then getting korilia